Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

OU President Hugh Sherman to recommend regional representative to Board of Trustees

Ohio University announced Friday that OU President Hugh Sherman plans to recommend a regional representative position to the Board of Trustees during the Board’s August meeting. 

According to a university news release, Sherman will ask the Board to consider securing a seat for a regional representative by restructuring one of the two national trustee seats or by adding a seat in a non-voting capacity. Currently, the Board is composed of nine voting members.

“This individual will bring a unique, and needed, perspective to board discussions and deliberations,” Sherman said in the release. “The trustee will improve the lines of communication in the region, strengthen the University’s existing Southeast Ohio partnerships, and help establish new ones with the focus on advancing our region.”

When Sherman first briefed the Board, he emphasized the unique service OU provides to the region. He also spoke of the academic, economic and communal interaction between the university and those who live in Southeast Ohio, according to the release. 

“Strengthening our service to the region is one of my key presidential priorities,” Sherman said in the release. “We need to cultivate a stronger alliance with the communities in which we live.”

@mollywmarie 

Mw542219@ohio.edu

Molly Wilson

News Editor