Ohio women's volleyball coach Deane Webb cheers during the final game of the MAC tournament, held in the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, on Sunday, November 22, 2015.

Volleyball: Deane Webb retiring from coaching

Deane Webb, Ohio’s coach for the past seven seasons, is hanging up his coaching career. 

In a statement released by Ohio on Tuesday afternoon, Webb announced his intention to retire from coaching. Webb said the decision had come after extensive deliberation, and he proceeded to thank Ohio staff, fans and alumni for the support during his tenure.

"I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have had to coach at Ohio University the last seven years," Webb said in a statement from Ohio Athletics. "It has been a privilege to lead this program. After much thought and prayer, I have decided to retire from coaching. My family and I are looking forward to the next step God has for us in our journey."  

Webb coached the Bobcats to a MAC Championship win and their 10th appearance in the NCAA tournament in 2015, and finished the season with a 25-8 record. In his first season at the helm, Webb helped Ohio to a MAC regular season title and a 16-0 conference record in 2014.

The now-former coach’s retirement comes after Ohio finished 12-8 last season. Webb retires with a coaching record of 78-82 at Ohio, a record marred by his wins from the 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons being vacated due to Ohio’s violation of NCAA recruiting violations.

Ohio is in a pinch. The 2021-22 season is looming, and now the Bobcats are short a head coach. The next few months will be hectic, but the uncertainty surrounding the hunt for a coach are bound to rock the boat.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu