An Open Letter to the Editor: Save 'The Post'

President Sherman, Dr. Sayrs, Trustees,

I am a proud graduate of Ohio University, Class of 1992. I am writing to you on behalf of The Post, whose future is in jeopardy because of the proposed elimination of the business manager’s position.

I have been working in journalism ever since I graduated, including for the Los Angeles Times and now for the Los Angeles Daily News. I have often spoken highly of my time at OU, and how it prepared me for my career. However, the best lessons I took from my time at OU were not learned in the classroom, but working for The Post. Journalism, more so than many other fields, is learned by experience, and The Post provided invaluable experience.

The Post is not simply like other clubs. It is an irreplaceable part of the education of journalism students.

I have no doubt that if I had not worked at The Post, I would not have the career I’ve had. In fact, I probably would not be working in journalism at all.

I hope that you will take the necessary actions to ensure that The Post can survive, allowing the next generation of young journalists at OU to learn the way that I did.

Thanks for your time

Jeff Fletcher (BSJ ‘92)
Los Angeles Daily News

This letter was sent in email to OU’s Board of Trustees, President Hugh Sherman and Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs. It was also sent to the editorial staff of The Post.