Tyler Tettleton scrambles before a pass against Marshall. The Bobcats beat the Thundering Herd on Sept. 14. (File Photo)

Football: Tyler Tettleton returns to Ohio as an assistant coach

Tyler Tettleton is back in Athens.

Ohio coach Tim Albin announced Thursday that Tettleton is joining his staff as an assistant coach, pass game coordinator and running backs coach. 

"I'm really excited for Tyler to return to Ohio," Albin said in a statement released by Ohio’s athletic department. "Tyler is one of the best players to put on the Green and White and he is a rising star in the football coaching world. I can't wait for him to get started with our guys and for Ohio fans to see him back at Peden." 

Rumors had been circulating following the retirement of former Ohio coach Frank Solich last Wednesday that Tettleton was going to join Albin’s staff. Ohio declined to confirm the rumors during Albin’s introductory press conference, claiming the position hadn’t been filled at the time.

Well, the rumors can be laid to rest. Tettleton is officially a Bobcat again.

Before his return to Ohio, Tettleton served as an offensive assistant for Louisiana State in 2020 and was an offensive quality control coach with the Cleveland Browns in 2019. He also served as a graduate assistant at Oklahoma under coach Bob Stoops from 2014-17.

Tettleton is among the most decorated quarterbacks in Ohio history. He was the first in program history to pass for more than 9,000 yards and threw 67 touchdown passes during his career. Tettleton set 27 program records during his career.

However, according to a statement released by the athletic department, Tettleton said he doesn’t want to ride on his past successes. 

He came to build.

"While I'm beyond thrilled to be back, I didn't come back for a homecoming/reunion tour," Tettleton said. "I came back for three main reasons. One, I believe in Tim Albin. Two, I wanted to continue to carry on and advance what Frank has built here. And three, and most importantly, to bring a (Mid-American Conference) championship to Athens." 

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu