Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

OU suspends Sigma Chi fraternity

Ohio University announced Tuesday that the Delta Pi chapter of Sigma Chi has been suspended from its campus for four years. 

According to a university news release, an internal investigation process found Sigma Chi at fault for numerous violations, including: 

• Possessing/Providing False and Misleading Information: Furnishing false information to University officials or law enforcement officers acting within the scope of their job duties
  • Hazing: Brutality of a physical nature
  • Hazing: Coerced activities

Sigma Chi received a cease and desist order in April and an investigation into the fraternity was initiated thereafter. At the time it received the notice, Sigma Chi was the third fraternity to receive a cease and desist order during the Spring Semester, according to a previous Post report. 

On July 6, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine signed Collin’s Law, an anti-hazing bill, into Ohio Law. Since the signing, OU has suspended two fraternities, including Sigma Chi. The university announced the suspension of Delta Tau Delta on July 13 due to numerous Student Code of Conduct violations. 

In a statement to the OU Sorority and Fraternity Life community, Ariel Tarosky, director of Sorority and Fraternity Life at OU, addressed the difficult nature of suspending two chapters within the past two weeks and the impact this has on the student body. 

“Hazing is not tolerated within sorority & fraternity life at Ohio University and for hazing to stop, and to ensure the safest experience for our members, it must be reported,” Tarosky said in the release. 

Sigma Chi was notified of its suspension July 27 by Taylor Tackett, assistant dean of students and director of community standards and student responsibility, and will be eligible to apply for reinstatement as a fraternity at OU in 2025. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu

Molly Wilson

News Editor