Ohio volleyball players celebrate a scored point during the game against Kent State on Thursday, November 7, 2019, in The Convo. Ohio won the match 3-0.

Volleyball: Ohio announces 2021 season schedule

It’s almost time for lights out in The Convo. 

Ohio announced its season schedule July 21, featuring a slew of nonconference opponents and conference rivals. This is a major change from the 2021 winter season that solely featured Mid-American Conference matchups. 

The Bobcats went 12-8 with the full MAC schedule, and seeing different teams will be a refreshing change. However, the Bobcats will play the entirety of their nonconference schedule on the road. 

The season is set to kick off at the Sports Imports Classic in Columbus. The Bobcats will play Northern Kentucky and Washington from Aug. 27 to Aug. 29 for their first matches of the season. 

Ohio will then bounce across and near the Midwest for three more tournaments at Illinois State, Kansas State and Western Kentucky. The Sept. 17-18 matches against St. John’s, Austin Peay and Western Kentucky at the WKU invitational are the Bobcats’ last nonconference matches of the regular season. 

MAC play will begin the week of Sept. 24 when Ohio takes on Toledo at home. From there, the Bobcats will play almost every other series at home. 

Some changes to note are that the Bobcats will be playing most of their matches on Friday and Saturday as opposed to Thursday and Friday like they did in the winter season. Also, the Bobcats will only play crossover opponents Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and Northern Illinois once, unlike last season. 

The Bobcats will also have a different name at the helm of the program. Veteran coach Geoff Carlston returned to Athens July 12 to become the new head of the program. 

Nevertheless, Ohio has a full schedule to play in front of fans for the 2021 fall season. 

@ashleybeachy_ 

ab026319@ohio.edu