Ohio University’s head soccer coach, Aaron Rodgers, yells from the sidelines during the home game against Miami on March 4, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Soccer: Ohio releases 2021 schedule

After a difficult 2020-21 season, Ohio is preparing to get back to normal as it announced its fall schedule Tuesday afternoon. The Bobcats ended their last season on a lackluster note, finishing with a record of 3-7 and having their season cut short due to COVID-19 restrictions.

The Bobcats will kick off their season at home on Aug. 12 against Xavier, followed by a road trip to Virginia Military Institute on Aug. 19. They will return to Athens for a three-game stint against Marshall on Aug. 26 and James Madison on Aug. 29. 

Ohio will start off September and continue its home stretch with a match against Navy on Sept. 2. It will then travel to face Eastern Kentucky on Sept. 5. Ohio plays its last nonconference home match against Northern Kentucky on Sept. 9. The squad will then travel to play a match against Cleveland State on Sept. 12, followed by a road trip to face Western Carolina on Sept. 19.

Mid-American Conference play begins for the Bobcats on Sept. 23 with a match against Buffalo at home. The Bobcats will then travel to Akron on Sept. 26, followed up by another away game at Bowling Green on Sept. 30. 

The Bobcats return home for two games against Toledo and Western Michigan on Oct. 3 and Oct. 7, respectively. Just as soon as they returned, the Bobcats hit the road for two more games, this time against Northern Illinois on Oct. 10 and Ball State on Oct. 14. 

On Oct. 17, the Bobcats will host Miami. While the RedHawks managed to get the best of them in their match last season, the Bobcats have come to expect a strong offense from them and might be able to turn this season’s match around. Ohio then hosts Eastern Michigan on Oct. 21, and then goes back on the road for a final away match against Central Michigan on Oct. 24. For the Bobcats’ last regular match of the season, they host Kent State on Oct. 28. 

The Ohio women’s soccer team is looking to make a run in the MAC tournament this year. With strong leadership, young talent and a schedule that’s returned to normal, 2021 might be the season the Bobcats have a breakthrough. 

@nicholaswhiiite

nw163519@ohio.edu