Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

OU to require COVID-19 vaccines

Correction appended.

Ohio University announced Tuesday it will require all students, faculty and staff to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by Nov. 15. 

According to a university news release, for vaccines that require two doses, both must be completed by that date. OU will accept Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson, Moderna or vaccines currently approved under WHO emergency use. Pfizer is the only vaccination that has been granted full FDA approval. 

OU is now one of numerous public universities in Ohio to require its students to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. On Aug. 24, Ohio State University announced its students would be required to get at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by Oct. 15. Miami University officially announced Aug. 31 it would also require students to receive their first dose by Oct. 25. 

OU will provide students the opportunity to apply for an exemption from the requirement for medical reasons, religious beliefs or ethical and moral beliefs. OU is hosting vaccination clinics on the Athens campus and many regional campuses, according to the release. 

“The vaccination is our best protection against COVID-19 and will ultimately help end the pandemic,” OU President Hugh Sherman said in the release. “If and when boosters are recommended, the University will update this policy to reflect those recommendations.” 

All individuals will need to register proof of their vaccine through the Testing Pathway Program. If students, faculty and staff have already selected the vaccination pathway, they do not need to update it. Those who are not yet vaccinated will still be required to test weekly until fully vaccinated.

All students must be vaccinated or have their exemption approved in order to participate in Spring Semester in-person classes, activities and to live in on campus housing. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu 

Correction: A previous of this article stated that OU was the third public university in Ohio to instate a vaccine mandate, when more have done so. This article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.

Molly Wilson

News Editor