Ohio huddles up before its first match against Samford at The Convo.

Volleyball: Observations from Ohio's Green and White scrimmage

Ohio’s Green and White scrimmage marked two firsts Friday night at The Convo. Playing on a new floor, coach Geoff Carlston got his first new look at his team as he starts his second term at the helm at Ohio. 

There were several new faces among the Bobcats as they warmed up for the action. They welcomed four freshmen over the summer who were unknown to the crowd before the pregame introductions.  

Here are The Post’s observations from the Green and White scrimmage:

Upperclassmen presence 

Ohio returns a junior class filled to the brim with experience. These members took charge and helped calm the nerves of the underclassmen following the end of set one. The younger players are still adjusting to Ohio, and the upperclassmen are helping them become more comfortable. 

Missing from the lineups were veterans Lauren Park and Dahlias Bouyer, who did not participate due to injury. 

Spatial awareness 

Both sides of the Bobcats had issues with spatial awareness on the court. The hitters and servers lacked a strong sense of depth perception in the first two sets. They sent several long balls over the net and it hurt their defensive approach. Also, the Bobcats were running into each other on the court in early sets, which is to be expected. They still need to learn how how to transition as a team. 

Versatility 

There are three to five athletes in each position group and some are crossovers. Carlston took his time leading his players by placing them in different positions throughout the night. Players were given a chance to play as the libero and as a defensive specialist. Several Bobcats also jumped into new roles, such as Maci Watrous taking a turn as a hitter. She played mainly as a defensive specialist last season and was not often found in the front row. 

Improvements from last season 

A handful of Bobcats showed improvements from last season. Libero Sam Steele had visible growth in her serving skills and ability to share the ball. Ciara Livingway showed that she had talents as a libero in the third set through her improved ball chasing and hustle. These early signs of growth show that Ohio is willing to expand its horizons and continue to grow as the season approaches. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu