The Cat's Cradle: Breaking the ice with Quake

In light of social distancing and requirements from Ohio University, making new friends is more difficult than before. Especially if that possible friend is a new roommate that you’ll spend the semester sharing a room with. Breaking the ice has always been a difficult art. 

There is no universal device that is behind breakaway glass in cases of breaking the ice. However, one thing that has regularly sufficed is games. From chess to tic tac toe, games have entertained and built bonds. Computer games have revolutionized shared experiences, and nothing is more “pick up and play” than Quake. 

Following off the success of “Doom,” several games imitated the basic FPS formula. These games were called “Doom Clones.” These clones were characterized by centered weapons, quick controls and graphic violence.  “Shadow Warrior,” “Star Wars Dark Forces,” “Marathon” and “Duke Nukeum” being prominent examples. The marketplace had become saturated with PC FPS’s, and id Software had to innovate. 

Released in 1996, Quake acts as a capstone to the id Software’s FPS trilogy of Wolfenstein and Doom. Each game marked some innovation to computer games. Wolfenstein was an early FPS and Doom provided more verticality. For Quake, John Romero and John Carmack thought of the concept after a D&D campaign, where a warrior entered inter-dimensional dungeons. However, this wasn’t enough to distinguish Quake from the competition, so id Software made the change to 3D.

Instead of “sprites” representing enemies, guns and backgrounds everything was formed with a series of polygons. With these complex models came the atmospheric music directed by Trent Reznor, of Nine Inch Nails fame. Combined, the game was visually distinct and pushed the FPS genre towards full 3D rendering. 

Shortly after shooters shifted to full 3D modeling. This brought games like “Turok,” “Golden Eye” and “Half-life” to late nineties video game landscape. This trend towards 3D modeling being a core element can be seen in the blockbuster Halo and Call of Duty series. Meanwhile, Quake remained a PC mainstay, inspiring a sequel, a recent remaster and a convention bearing its name: “QuakeCon.” The Con is home to Quake LAN parties. These tournaments are held in the convention hall as players play their favorite Quake games.

The multiplayer has formed a legacy. Based around several competing players, each player spawns into an arena littered with weapons and must shoot it out to win. Basic in design with a high skill ceiling Quake’s arena multiplayer became a phenomenon for its high replay-ability. Quake’s multiplayer became a mainstay of the series and inspired later FPS’s to include their own spin on the multiplayer genre.

The recent remaster of Quake has brought the game to all consoles and a new generation of players. Local play allows up to four people to travel the dark arenas racking up points in an effort win. While online multiplayer allows for cross-console connectivity increasing the player base considerably. For those interested in the several campaigns, co-op mode is an option. 

Quake’s multiplayer and campaign is a great way to fill time between your personal requirements. The split-screen and online multiplayer allows for the arena shooter to take on a new life. The competitive nature of the game becomes a great team building exercise or the beginning of a new friendship.

Though one person may crush another in a single death-match, there is a friendly competition to games. Bonds are formed, and maybe new friends are found. So, get Quake and invite a roommate, friend or family member to a quick match of 1v1, and see what comes of it. 

Ben Ervin is a senior studying English literature and writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Ben know by emailing him be425014@ohio.edu.