Ohio University’s Tia Jimerson blocks a ball during the teams win over Virginia at The convocation center in Athens, Ohio, on Satuday, Sept. 14, 2019. (FILE)

Volleyball: Tia Jimerson signs with Szent Benedek Roplabda

Tia Jimerson will be taking her volleyball talents across the Atlantic Ocean. The volleyball-standout signed her first professional contract in July.

Her new team will be the Szent Benedek Roplabda club in the Hungary Extraliga. The club was founded in 2015 and is based in Balatonfured, Hungary. 

Jimerson was excellent on both sides of the ball for the Bobcats. She showcased her offensive talents by leading the team in kills (215) and hitting percentage (.345) during the shortened 2021 season. The middle blocker also led the charge in the front row with a team-high 70 blocks in the same season. 

She made a lasting impact in the Mid-American Conference by earning first-team All-MAC in all four of her seasons at Ohio. Jimerson’s prowess was recognized by league officials and opponents beyond, too. She was the 2017 MAC Freshman of the Year and the 2019 Co-Defensive Player of the Year. 

Jimerson was also crowned MAC Player of the Year in 2019, arguably the largest award of her career at Ohio. She also won numerous weekly conference awards. Her intense playing style helped her express her dominance against opponents. 

The former Bobcat was also a strong communicator and a leader on the team. Her exit will leave the rising seniors with large shoes to fill. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu