Betsy Caul (left) and Kait Runevitch (right) sit for an interview in the home of late artist David Hostetler. Caul and Runevitch are partners in their work for Art Park Custom Framing and Design, which they operate out of Hostetler’s home.

Art Park Custom Framing and Design works to gather local artists, creatives

Nestled in the hillside of southeastern Athens on 40 acres of farmland is Art Park Custom Framing and Design. Once home to renowned artist and sculptor, David Hostetler, Art Park, 8089 N. Coolville Ridge Road, houses numerous works of art and operates as a framing business. Some of the media range from elaborate wooden sculptures and paintings to historical relics dating back several decades.

When touring the property, guests will learn that Art Park is actually the expansion of Hostetler’s original home and wood-working area. His wife, Susan, has kept everything in pristine condition. 

Operating by appointment only, Art Park has many aspects visitors can immerse themselves in. There is one large gallery inside of the foyer of the house leading throughout the facility. Filled with historical information about Hostetler’s life, it’s a relic of the Athens local art scene.

Art Park is not only a gallery and art exhibit but also a custom framing business working with local merchandisers in the area. Art Park frames work from artists, pieces of history and anything else they believe should be displayed and preserved. 

Having officially opened at the end of last February, Art Park is an expanding business that takes pride in preservation and the historical education of art. 

One of the owners, Kait Runevitch, said the origins of Art Park are important and so was its survival during the pandemic. 

“It was the end of February (and) we applied for our LLC,” Runevitch said. “We worked through the pandemic in some aspects, because we (were) offering pickup and delivery. We were able to do a lot of contactless work for people.” 

Betsy Caul, another one of Art Park’s owners, said the business built an online platform, allowing for a wider range of customers and viewers.

“What's happened in the business, and we hear it all over the country, people have been sitting at home and looking at their walls,” Caul said. “The whole framing business really picked up with people wanting new art...or refurbish what they have, we're happy to do all that too.’’

Runevitch said that the pricing of frames depends on order size and numerous other factors, like the desired end product.

“We offer solutions in a variety of price points to accommodate as many budgets as possible,” Runevitch said in an email. “Frame moulding varies in price based on material and finish, from basic metal to hand gilded masterpieces. Some other variables that weigh into the price are size of the artwork, matting (or not), choice of glass and backing.”

Art Park provides a space for people to view never-before-seen art. Hannah Starrett, a junior studying cellular molecular biology, said she would be interested in checking out the venue sometime due to her background in the arts and need for new sights.

“I need stuff that's right in front of me, so I need all that stuff,” Starrett said.

Art Park Framing and Design integrates art history, a custom framing business and gallery all in one space, a space that once housed the locally-renowned David Hostetler and his work. 

@trerspencer1

ts582119@ohio.edu