Fresh finds Friday

We’re almost to the halfway mark of the fall semester, Bobcats. With classes back in full force and midterms right around the corner, we could all use some new music to help power through the week. Luckily, we found some tunes to keep students motivated during these long days and long nights. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are seven news songs to get you through the week:

“Colors and Shapes” by Mac Miller

Sept. 7 was the third anniversary of losing lyrical genius, Mac Miller. His new song “Colors and Shapes,” which was released posthumously, challenges us to think about the perception of life. The track opens with a sample from Timothy Leary, famous psychologist and heavy advocate for psychedelic drug usage such as LSD. 

Miller raps about letting yourself fall, while being open to different views, to question who you are and your purpose on earth; not only to accept your own perspective but to be open to other shapes and colors.

“Under The Sun” by Cuco

Singer-songwriter Cuco is back with his new single “Under the Sun.” This track comes knocking with Tame-Impala-sounding psychedelic guitar riffs and a traditional indie drum beat. It takes a turn when transitioning into something completely different with Latin percussion. The song’s Spanish lyrics-- “Mi amigo es un fantasma/ Y creo que se perdió/ Porque el nunca hace falta y nunca me escribió/ Y no se por que lloraba/ No se que se le rompio/ Se agacha con su guitarra/ Lo dice con su canción”-- loosely translates to a friend being a ghost, getting lost, only crouching down with his guitar singing his song. Then, the track reverts back to a fresh guitar solo, making “Under the Sun” a creative combination of amazing Indie rock and Latin grooves.

“I Feel It” by Jon Bellion 

If you listen closely, this intro freakishly sounds like “Tumblr Girls” by G-Eazy. Despite being a completely opposite composition, this track has a delectable bass groove with a melancholic synth that can be associated with lingering sadness or severe anxiety we experience in day to day life. It returns with an upbeat drum pattern and bass releases. This is definitely a song to listen to when you're down as a reminder that you're not alone, because Jon Bellion reminds you, "I Feel It."

“Empty Days” by Tomorrow Daily

Coming out of the Columbus and Athens underground is Tomorrow Daily. Lead singer Avery Waffen and her brother, guitarist Jake Waffen, and friends, bring a uniquely refreshing take on bands like the Strokes, and Peach Pit with tight-knit grooves, creative energy and tasty bass riffs. “Empty Days” is no exception with its psychedelic chords and lyrics on reflection, it's a perfect song for your morning rotation.

Fire in Your House” by WALK THE MOON

Hailing from Cincinnati, OH, WALK THE MOON is a big deal for a lot of Cincinnatians. Coming back from a two-year hiatus, WALK THE MOON comes with a tasty bass groove and familiar synth arpeggios. “Fire In Your House” was produced by Johnny Clegg, a South African producer whose music intertwines with African and Western styles brings a interesting spin to Bloom, which was also produced by a fellow South African, Troye Sivan. 

“Midnight Rapture” by Anabel Englund

Midnight Rapture is a DJ’s dream track. It’s a perfect combination of bass and groove with the classic house drum beat with your modern classical arpeggios that you can find in a lot of modern music being released these days. However, Anabel Englund adding her trance-inducing vocals will have you dancing at a random house party on Mill Street for hours or can serve as a great transition for you DJ’s out there.

The Announcement” by G-Eazy

“These Things Happen Too” is finally almost here, 7 years after the original “These Things Happen,” G-Eazy has lyrically changed so much over the past several years. We’ve had several absolute hits from him like “Tumblr Girls,” “Calm Down” and “Me, Myself and I,” which display the party side of G-Eazy. This new album, based on the singles that have come out, is showing the other half that emerges after of all the partying is over. The post-party breakdown hints at the title of the album, “These Things Happen Too,” exploring what happens when the party must come to an end.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu