Noah’s Ark: Ohio University needs to make space for valid contrarian opinions

On Tuesday, Ohio University’s Menard Family George Washington Forum invited The Washington Post columnist and author of “Chaos Under Heaven: Trump, Xi, and the Battle for the Twenty-First Century,” Josh Rogin, to speak on campus. Inside Galbreath Memorial Chapel, Rogin did something that happens far too rarely: he presented a contentious idea in a measured, fact-based manner. 

The ability to encounter disagreement is rapidly disappearing from our discourse. This is manifesting itself in the media we consume. Rogin has seen it first-hand.

Rogin was an early proponent of taking the “lab leak” theory — the belief that COVID-19 originated from an accident in a Wuhan research facility — seriously. At a time when many figures in national media were dismissing the lab leak theory as a conspiracy drummed up by right-wing extremists, Rogin says his philosophy was “something bad happened, we have to figure out what it was.” 

At an institution like OU, whose journalism college sends graduates into a media climate that is failing its readers and viewers, inviting speakers like Rogin to campus is a crucial step in rethinking the way reporters should think. 

Unfortunately, one speaker is not enough, and Rogin himself admits the future of media in America is not a bright one. 

“I don’t think it’s going to get better in the near-term,” Rogin said. “We increasingly divide ourselves into media ecosystems that don’t bother to try and reconcile with each other.” 

He believes this is only going to get worse, and our institutions are failing to mend the divide. 

“The (outlets) failing their readers are focused on narrative-setting rather than reporting, and attention-grabbing rather than the mechanics of journalism,” Rogin said. “It’s not rocket science. The more resources you put into the professional work of journalists, the better your organizations are going to come out.” 

He added that the failure of outlets to admit their mistakes and shortcomings is only exacerbating the issue. For students, hearing a member of an outlet like The Washington Post who is willing to honestly criticize the industry is paramount. 

OU not only trains future journalists, but also places itself at the center of truth-seeking in a region often ignored by the rest of America. Opening itself and its students up to credible, possibly controversial ideas should be key in upholding the responsibilities of the university. 

Director of the George Washington Forum, Dr. Robert Ingram and Josh Rogin are in agreement. Media climate is not getting better and traditional methods are failing. 

When asked if it was getting harder to have the conversations like the one had at the event, Ingram said, “Absolutely.” 

When Ingram invited Rogin to campus, he did so because he exists as a respected member of a respected institution, The Washington Post, but also because in many ways he operates outside norms and expectations. 

“(It’s important to have him speak here) because he doesn’t follow the mainstream narrative,” Ingram said. “It’s good to have someone on campus who will say contrarian things and subject himself to the examination of the audience … You have to encounter people with whom you might disagree.” 

If the university wants to live up to its promises, and simply do its job, it should follow the lead of the George Washington Forum. The norms and methods of yesterday have failed, and if institutions like OU don’t push the boundaries now, it will only get worse. 

Noah Wright is a senior studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Noah? Tweet him @NoahCampaign.