It is hard to find artists these days who can speak to people the way *Mac Miller has, and for that he is missed and will continue to be, for years to come. (Photo provided by @eyyD3_). 

Mac Miller's 5 Greatest Songs

Mac Miller is arguably one of the most beloved hip hop and rap artists of our generation. You may be able to find someone who doesn’t particularly like his music, but it would be a challenge to find someone who genuinely didn’t like the charismatic, goofy, “most dope,” kid from Pittsburgh. 

Miller started off as just a “frat rapper” with his carefree, immature rhymes creating the perfect environment for a party we’d see on Mill Street, but as his career progressed, he turned into much more than that. 

Due to a battle with mental illness, Miller’s rhymes started to hold much deeper meaning, which not only cemented him as a great artist, but allowed people to relate to him as he vocalized struggles felt by many others. Unfortunately, three years ago as of last month, we lost Mac Miller to those struggles, but not before he created a wide array of music that has helped so many through times both good and bad. In order to celebrate “Easy Mac with the Cheesy Raps” here are Mac Miller's five greatest songs: 

5.  “Kool Aid and Frozen Pizza”

This track was Mac Miller's first breakout hit from his second album, K.I.D.S, and quickly became one of the most played Youtube videos in 2010 when it was released. Miller sampled “Lord Finesse’s” carefree and unique sounding beat from his hit song, “Hip 2 da Game”, which ended up losing Miller 10 million dollars in a copyright infringement lawsuit in the coming year. This song projects a nonchalant, but determined message about progressing through the ranks of the rap game with lyrics like “I been climbing up the Great Wall, haven't had a fall yet / These blogs gotta know I'm on next.” This song is written with all the arrogance and laid-back attitude present in a teenage boy, as well as topics that most everyone can relate to, because who doesn’t love Kool Aid and Frozen Pizza?

4.  “Best Day Ever”

“Best day ever” is the first track on Mac Miller's 5th mixtape, released in 2016, with the same title. However, the song has two versions, one of which, titled “BDE bonus” was performed on a live album, Live from Space before the song “Best Day Ever” was released, which featured the same lyrics from “BDE Bonus” but a different, and more uplifting beat. Regardless of which beat is used, this track features the famous, optimistic chorus “No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile / Pursuit to be happy, only laughing like a child,” lyrics which unfortunately could not have been further from how Miller was really feeling at the time this song was released. Whether you struggle with mental illness, or just need something to pick you up in the morning, the hopeful, yet bittersweet lyrics of this song will have you believing that “This ‘gon be the best day ever.”

3. “Self Care”

This song was released as the second single on the album, Swimming, which dropped in 2018, only months before Miller’s death. “Self Care” is about Miller’s journey to learn to love himself without anybody by his side, as he had just split with his ex, Ariana Grande, about a month before the release of this song. Featuring lyrics, “That Mercedes drove me crazy, I was speedin' / Somebody save me from myself, yeah,” referencing a car crash Miller was in, which was rumored to have been related to their breakup that happened only weeks before the crash. Lyrics such as those, and “I was thinking too much / Got stuck in oblivion, yeah, yeah,” makes this song sound like a cry for help from the “oblivion” Miller found himself trapped in. This song highlights self-worth and independence, which makes it a perfect listen if you’ve recently split with a partner, or just find yourself in need of some self care.

2. “Come Back to Earth”

“Come back to Earth” is the first song on the 2018 album Swimming. This album was a different sound for Miller as its main themes include regaining the ability to “swim” with his head above water, after a deep dive into a state of depression. This song reflects that metaphor perfectly with lyrics such as “I was drowning but now I’m swimming / Through stressful waters to relief.” Another main theme present in this song is the social disconnect he feels while in this state of depression, singing, “I got neighbors, that more like strangers, we could be friends.” This track also conveys a message of substance abuse struggles with lines such as, “I’ll do anything for a way out of my head.” The slow melodic beat of this song feels like a warm blanket wrapped around you, and whether you  struggle with being stuck in your own head, or are just having a particularly bad day, this song will help heal you. Music like this is what made Mac Miller a standout artist later in his career, beloved by many, and songs like this have us all wishing he would come back to earth.” 

1. “Good News”

“Good News” was released on January 9, 2020 as the first single on Miller's posthumous album Circles. This was the first song to be released by Miller after his death, which made it a big deal for fans everywhere. It encapsulates the feeling of being stuck in a slump, when people expect something from you that you aren't able to give. Lyrics such as, “Well, maybe I should wake up instead / A lot of things I regret but I just say I forget,” describing the type of depression that keeps you in bed all day. Lines like, “Why can't it just be easy / Why does everybody need me to stay,” sounds like a plea to leave this world behind, making this track one of the most hard hitting Miller has ever released. However, the most painful part of this song is the note of optimism that the song ends on, with the lyrics, “Then I'll finally discover, That it ain't that bad / Ain't so bad,” suggesting that if an accidental drug overdose hadn’t taken him, he may have escaped the dark place he was trapped in, which would have been good news to hear.  

This list reflects the journey of Mac Miller's discography accurately, from simply a college rapper, to an artist who millions related to. Over the 11 years he was in the game, Miller was able to make timeless music that helped so many through so much and cemented him as one of the greatest to ever do it. It is hard to find artists these days who can speak to people the way Mac Miller has, and for that he is missed and will continue to be, for years to come. 

cc142520@ohio.edu

@Chomicki_11