Ohio's Cam Odom (#3) catches a pass during the Bobcats' match versus Duquesne on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021.

Football: Fast reactions to Ohio's 28-26 loss to Duquesne

Ohio’s rough start extends another week. 

Ohio didn’t just lose. It was upset 28-26 by Duquesne, a Football Championship Subdivision team without its original starting quarterback. Nothing clicked. Ohio expected an easier game in week two and were left with nothing but disappointment.

Here are The Post’s fast reactions to Ohio’s loss to Duquesne: 

First half struggles

Ohio started off strong in the first half. An 83-yard kickoff return touchdown by De’Montre Tuggle followed by a touchdown on Ohio’s first drive spelled good things off the bat. However, Ohio failed to capitalize on its strong start. Kurtis Rourke was only 4-for-8 after the first half, and Ohio was 0-for-4 when converting on third down.

The lack of offensive power put Ohio in a tough spot for the second half, and a bad day for the special teams didn’t help either. Kicker Stephen Johnson missed an extra point attempt and a field goal attempt in the first half, robbing Ohio of four potential points.

Defense cant put a stop to anything

Ohio’s defense should have been able to make quick work of Duquesne. It should have been able to keep quarterback Darius Perrantes contained and give its own offense plenty of time to work with. It should have been able to handle an FCS school.

Instead, Ohio controlled the ball for half as long as Duquesne. Ohio failed to stop runs, passes or anything Duquesne threw at it. Duquesne wasted time on the field that Ohio needed.

Penalties galore

Although Ohio’s defense struggled to put a stop to a drive, the biggest aid to Duquesne came in the form of penalties. Seven defensive penalties for 76 yards — including two pass interference calls in the same drive — rubbed salt in the wound and helped Duquesne establish a dominant lead in the second half. 

Even when the Bobcats made progress, their penalties erased it. After Kurtis Rourke completed a 47-yard pass to Jerome Buckner in the third quarter, Ohio was forced to replay the down following a holding penalty on offensive lineman Jay Amburgey.

Two major milestones

Both wide receiver Cam Odom and running back O’Shaan Allison reached career milestones against the Dukes. Odom surpassed 1,000 career receiving yards after a 60-yard completion from Kurtis Rourke in the first quarter. Allison recorded 1,000 career rushing yards following a seven-yard sprint. 

The duo were the driving force behind Ohio’s limited offense in the first half. Buckner accounted for 43 of Ohio’s 66 rushing yards, while Odom recorded 60 of Ohio’s total receiving yards. 

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu