Ohio volleyball players celebrate a scored point during the game against Kent State on Thursday, November 7, 2019, in The Convo. Ohio won the match 3-0.

Volleyball: Ohio swept at K-State Invitational

The Bobcats traveled to Manhattan, Kansas, for the K-State Invitational, its third invitational tournament this season. They tried to earn their first win of the season, but their coveted first win evaded them yet again. 

Ohio (0-8) lost to Loyola Chicago, Kansas State and Fresno State. It was swept twice during the invitational, which means Ohio has been swept in matches five times this season.

Here’s how the week went for the Bobcats:

Thursday 

Ohio faced both Loyola Chicago and Kansas State on Thursday.

The day started out with an 11 a.m. match against Loyola Chicago, but Ohio didn’t fare well.

The Ramblers outscored the Bobcats 52.0 points to 44.5. They also collected more kills, assists and digs than the Bobcats. The only category the Bobcats lead was in service aces, with 10.

Highlights of the match include Maggie Nedoma’s 11 kills, Maci Watrous’ 10 digs and Caitlin O’Farrell’s four blocks. 

Ohio needed to forget its loss to Loyola Chicago and move on to its 8:00 p.m. match against Kansas State. 

However, the Wildcats defeated the Bobcats in the same fashion, a 3-0 shutout. 

The Bobcats outdid the Wildcats in digs and assists, but failed to breakthrough in any other category. They were outscored and the Wildcats overpowered them in blocks. However, the match appeared to be more even as the Bobcats only fell behind by two in kills and service aces. 

O’Farrell took over as the Bobcats’ kills leader. She not only led the team with 11 kills, but she also led with three blocks. O’Farrell has settled into the role of Ohio’s main middle blocker with ease this season. 

Noticeably missing from Thursday’s matches was Sam Steele. The libero did not play in either match. 

Friday 

Ohio’s final match of the invitational came on Friday against Fresno State. It was Ohio’s last chance of the weekend to potentially score its first win.

But, old habits die hard. 

The Bobcats evaded a shutout by winning their first set against the Bulldogs. However, the single set was not enough to keep the Bulldogs from claiming a 3-1 win. 

Fresno State’s intensity was more than Ohio was able to handle, and its defense scrambled as a result. Ohio had 45 digs compared to Fresno State’s 38.

Olivia Margolies took the crown as Ohio’s kills leader after landing 12 against the Bulldogs. She was trailed by O’Farrell with 10 kills and Nedoma with nine. 

What’s next? 

Ohio has one final invitational before it begins Mid-American Conference play. It will need to secure a win at the WKU Invitational in order to build confidence before getting into the heart of its season. 

The Bobcats will take on Western Kentucky, Lipscomb and Austin Peay on Sept. 17-18. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu