5 tips for better skin care in college

College is stressful enough. We are constantly on the go with classes, extracurriculars and social lives. Add in the Athens water quality, and it’s a recipe for disaster when it comes to skin care. 

Before coming to Athens, I never really struggled with skin care problems. That all changed when I came to campus. Since then, I’ve had to re-evaluate my routine and adapt to both the water quality and the chaos that is college.  

Whether you need a new product to moisturize with, or an entirely new routine, here are five tips for better skin care:

Get back to basics

It’s easy to have a huge skin care routine, considering the wide variety of products out there. However, it may overwhelm your skin and irritate it even more. While your skin is adjusting to the Athens water or even just stress, ditch the 12-step skin care routine, and opt for more basic products. 

A simple skin care routine to start with is a cleanser, toner and moisturizer. Cleansers like Clinique and Cetaphil are great examples because they have mild, non-irritating formulas and are great for sensitive skin. As your skin becomes used to its surroundings, whether it be the Athens water or stress in general, then you can gradually add more products to your routine.

Spray and set

I originally had oily skin, but ever since I moved to Athens, my skin has become extremely dry. I could apply moisturizer in the morning and by afternoon, my skin is dry again. If you have the same problem, facial sprays are a perfect skin pick-me-up whenever you need extra moisture. 

Sprays like thermal spring water calm and soothe the skin after setting without completely drying out your skin. For specific times throughout the day, I use the Mario Badescu facial spray collection. Each spray in the set can be used for a specific time of day to help boost your skin. 

Mask up

Once you’ve established a solid skin care routine, it’s time to add in some more products. 

Take 20 minutes once a week to do a replenishing face mask. Face masks can increase hydration to the skin, calm inflammation and help with dark spots. 

The mask that’s best for you depends on your type of skin. If you have dry skin, exfoliating masks will help remove dead skin and soothe your skin. If you have oily skin, clay masks remove excess oil and help with acne. Whatever mask you pick, make sure you don’t do it too often. Otherwise, you will end up making your skin worse. 

Taking off your face

This next tip seems like an easy one, but it’s probably the most important. It can be hard to remember after a long day or night of going out, but taking your makeup off at night is essential to prevent clogged pores and acne breakouts. 

Makeup wipes and towels should be used for facial makeup, as they won’t leave excess residue on your face. For eye makeup, use a strong liquid remover to get off that stubborn mascara. Your face will thank you in the morning for doing so. 

Eat your greens 

It’s easy to fall into the habit of unhealthy eating in college, but eating junk food like pizza and deep-fried items can actually cause excess oil production on your skin. Keeping a healthy diet can help with skin care immensely. 

Eating more fruits and vegetables can improve skin tone, protect skin from damage and contribute to collagen production. Some of the best items to eat include berries, spinach, carrots and tomatoes. It’s a simple and inexpensive way to keep your skin glowing. 

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu