Existential Binge-Watching: Upcoming films to go see at your local theater

Fall is just around the corner and movie theaters are back into the full swing of things - at least for the time being. With the delta variant ominously lurking over everyone’s shoulders, now might just be the best time to go out and see some films while it’s still possible. And there are quite a few exciting releases about to hit the big screen before the end of this long and hectic year. Be sure to mark your calendars and reserve your tickets for some of these most attention grabbing ones.

Dear Evan Hansen, Sept. 24

Musicals are always a great choice to go see in theaters simply for the audio enhancement alone. While this film adaptation of the Broadway musical has been getting pretty mixed reviews, many taking issue with the nearly 30-year-old Ben Platt’s portrayal of a high schooler in particular, there’s no greater place to form an opinion of your own than a trip to the movie theater.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Oct. 1

Venom was surprising mostly due to the fact that it was a Sony-led Marvel project that wasn’t a complete disaster. Adding a more prominent Woody Harrelson into the mix of this Tom Hardy led affair looks to make the sequel even more exciting than the first. Whether it starts to live up to the MCU or not, it should at the very least be a solid fall blockbuster Sony can add under its belt.

No Time to Die, Oct. 8

What better way to see Daniel Craig’s fifth and final outing as James Bond than on the big screen surrounded by fans of the series? In addition to numerous reprisals, there’s no way Rami Malek as a Bond villain isn’t going to be a blast.

The Last Duel, Oct. 15

Based on Eric Jager’s book of the same name, this film adaptation largely seemed to fly under the radar. That is, until everyone got a look at who’s involved. A Ridley Scott historical drama with a cast that includes the likes of Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Ben Affleck? Yea, this should be fun.

Eternals, Nov. 5

Shang-Chi proved new origin films in the MCU still have a lot to say and in ways that fans have yet to see. Eternals looks to not only continue that trend but also be much grander in scale in everything from plot to cast - seriously, just look at the names listed. This is definitely a Marvel entry that’s meant to be seen in a theater.

West Side Story, Dec. 10

Directed and co-produced by Steven Spielberg, this will be the second feature-length adaptation of the Broadway musical. Director aside, it’ll also star the charming duo of Ansel Egort and Rachel Zegler, this being her first on-screen role after going viral on Twitter and YouTube and landing the role off of Spielberg’s casting call.

Spider-Man: No Way Home, Dec. 17

Enough has already been said about this one. Just be there on opening night.

The Matrix Resurrections, Dec. 22

The fourth installment of The Matrix series, and the first since 2003, fans should be thrilled to see the return of Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Jada Pinkett Smith. The only confusion comes with the fact that no one seems to know quite what this entry into the series is, with it currently looking to be a strange concoction of a remake and a sequel. Whatever it is, it’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out during its Christmas season release.

Jackson Horvat is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson