7 creative ways to carve your pumpkin

The big day is slowly approaching with Halloween almost here. If you’ve yet to do any festive activities to celebrate, pumpkin carving is a must. Get a group of friends together or go at it alone, and whip out your best jack-o’-lantern ideas. Stuck on what to do? Here are seven creative ways to carve your pumpkin:

Show off your interests 

Carving your pumpkin is a great opportunity to show off what you love. Whether it be sports, movies or music, get creative with your hobbies and interests. The more personal the pumpkin, the more special it is.

Try typography

Though a face design may be the traditional route, writing and words can be another way to get a fun message across. You can go with classic sayings like “Boo,” “Happy Halloween” or “Spooky,” but you can also step out of the box. Carve words of things that you’re thankful for, an inside joke with friends or a favorite quote.

Keep it simple

Sometimes plain and simple is the way to go. Keeping the design uncomplicated can be just as impressive and funny as an intricate and complex design. The key to a cute and basic pumpkin face is to keep the eyes round and the mouth in a smiling expression.

Go classic

You can never go wrong with the OG style of jack-o’-lantern. The pointed edges give the face a spooky and eerie look that’s perfect for the ghostly holiday. Play around with the shapes and direction of each feature to give your pumpkin a unique touch.

Make it funny

Funny jack-o’-lanterns are probably just as much of a pumpkin carving staple as the classic ones. Get some laughs by designing scenes like the on-fire Elmo or the women yelling at a cat meme. Other suggestions: Shrek, Remy from Ratatouille, Among Us and Peppa Pig.

Be clever

If you prefer a wittier pumpkin design, try sticking a little pumpkin inside of your regular one. Think outside the box of what a jack-o’-lantern is supposed to be and turn it into something out of the ordinary. Turn your big pumpkin into a house for the smaller one to live in or have the bigger pumpkin eating the tinier one.

Take inspiration from animals

There are many different animals out there to choose from and get inspired by. You can design the whole animal on the pumpkin, carve just the face or use the pumpkin itself as the body of the animal. Some suggestions: a fish, dog, bat, owl or a cat (then it’d be Pumpkin the cat).

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu