9 songs to improve a long, hard day

We all have those days where you feel like you’re stuck with nowhere to go. There may be days where it’s hard to get out of bed and there’s no motivation to do anything. One of the best things to do to overcome this, is to listen to some feel-good music. 

Listening to music has been proven to reduce stress as well as elevate mood. It can help manage pain, perhaps even feel like a warm hug. Music can provide that guidance and motivation needed to fulfill the life that is desired and wanted. With a mix of songs new and old, here are some of the best songs to pick you back up on those difficult days:

“Vienna” by Billy Joel

Nothing is more comforting than Billy Joel singing directly to you and giving you the best advice possible. With condoling lyrics such as “Slow down you’re down fine / you can’t be everything you want to be before your time,” that sound like a reassuring message to take it slow, otherwise, you might miss the life you were destined to live. While the song’s sound seems more somber than upbeat, it’s lyrics are the main benefactor as they resonate deeply within the listener.

“Chiquitita” by ABBA  

Translating to “little one” in Spanish, “Chiquitita” is a song that sounds like a friend who would serve as a shoulder to cry on. The song contains a lot of encouragement with lyrics such as, “Try once more like you did before / sing a new song, Chiquitita.” With a beautifully uplifting piano solo at the end, the song has no trouble making one feel revitalized and exhilarated while listening. 

“Heroes” by David Bowie

This David Bowie classic has always resonated with practically anyone who listens to it. It gives the listener a strong sense of hope as well as a desire to pick themselves up. The lyrics “We can be heroes / forever and ever” will resonate with every listener, helping one find the courage to feel motivated and infinite. 

“Yam Yam” by No Vacation

With soothing vocals and incredible instrumentation, this song is meant to make you feel secure, even when you are all alone. It’s a very simple and comforting song as it helps channel inner peace. While it’s almost like a friend singing to the listener, the lyrics reflect a friendly promise that “When the morning comes our way / I’ll be here to stay.” 

“When the Morning Comes” by Daryl Hall & John Oates

An underrated hit by the classic duo band Hall & Oates, this song reassures that everything will be alright “When the Morning Comes.” No matter what one may be going through, the song prompts the listener to push those thoughts to the side and remember that it won’t matter tomorrow. All in all, it’s a cheery tune with some catchy and unforgettable lyrics. 

“Clean” by Taylor Swift

“Clean” is one of Taylor Swift’s most powerful and uplifting songs. While it was written about a breakup, the meaning of the song can be interpreted differently for listeners. It’s overall message is about moving on as a person and looking after yourself while doing so. With the lyrics “Ten months older / I won’t give in / now that I’m clean / I’m never going to risk it,” the song understands your pain and provides the comfort needed to overcome it. 

“Keeping Your Head Up” by Birdy

Another song resembling a friend assisting you through your struggles, this upbeat hit reassures that no matter what you are going through you aren’t going through it alone. There’s always someone that will be “keeping your head up.” It’s the ideal song to listen to when one needs some reassurance and guidance. 

“Float On” by Modest Mouse

Modest Mouse’s most popular hit is a perfect “pick-me-up” song as it encourages to look on the bright side of things, no matter how bad things may be. The lyrical repetition of “We’ll all float on,” resonates with the listener, providing comfort and motivation. The song is without a doubt extremely catchy, making it easily replay-able for anytime you need a pick-me-up. 

“You Get What You Give” by New Radicals

One of the best one-hit wonders of all time is this classic mood-boosting song. The song radiates the importance of not giving up because everyone has a reason to live. It’s a timeless song, always helping others gather the strength to move forward in life. Furthermore, the hit focuses on the fact that listeners can find passion in music while listening to lyrics such as “you got the music in you.” While amplifying the importance of living life to the fullest, it is a quintessential song to ease any stress one might be facing.  

@loganhumphrey_

lh129720@ohio.edu