Athens Highschool quarterback Landon Wheatly (2) runs the ball for a touchdown while Marcus Stevers, 33, blocks a Meigs defender during the first half of the Bulldog victory over Meigs at Joe Borrow Field in Athens, Ohio on Friday, Oct. 1, 2021. (Jesse Jarrold-Grapes | For The Post)

Athens Football: Athens travels to River Valley for penultimate game of regular season

Athens struggled to prevent scoring drives and gave up multiple turnovers in its game against Wellston last week. The two issues compounded and handed Athens its sixth loss of the season.

After six disappointing losses, Athens will attempt to earn its third win Friday when it travels to play River Valley.

The Bulldogs have to get their offense moving early to stand a chance. In all six of their losses, the Bulldogs have been outscored 106-76 before halftime. If the Bulldogs secure the ball and get moving downfield, they might be able to clinch a third win.

Game information

Opponent: River Valley

Venue: River Valley Stadium

Kickoff: 7 p.m.

News and Notes

-Athens last played River Valley on Oct. 25, 2019 and won 69-26. 

-Athens is currently fourth in the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio standings while River Valley is ranked sixth. 

-Junior Landon Wheatley completed 18-of-30 passes for 305 yards and two touchdowns against Wellston. Wheatley also led Athens in the rushing with 70 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries. 

@mariamonesii 

mm017019@ohio.edu