Weekender Briefs: get vaccinated at Heritage Hall, attend local theater productions

Friday, October 15

Mass Vaccination Clinic at Heritage Hall at 12 p.m., hosted by Ohio University, 16 W. Green Dr. Get vaccinated against COVID-19 before Nov. 15, the deadline for OU’s vaccine requirement. To make an appointment to get the vaccine, visit gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov, use Access Code B4P8PAQMNO, search for ZIP code 45701 and select an available appointment slot. Walk-ins are welcome and all people 12 and older are eligible to receive the vaccine. Those under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Admission: Free

LACUNA and The Van Gogh Affect at 10 a.m., hosted by the Kennedy Museum of Art, 100 Ridges Circle. Explore two distinct art exhibits on display at the Kennedy Museum. LACUNA incorporates visual art and theatrical modes to examine the space in between and creative processes. The Van Gogh Affect is a photography exhibition that acknowledges the far-reaching effects of Van Gogh’s artwork on contemporary perceptions of the world. Masks indoors are mandatory in both galleries and the number of visitors will be limited as per OU guidelines.

Admission: Free

Athens International Film and Video Festival at 1 p.m., hosted by The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. Take in more than 500 films from Oct. 15 until Oct. 24. OU students with an ID have access to free tickets which can be obtained in-person at the Athena Cinema’s box office on Court Street. Masks are required in the theater.

Admission: Free for OU students with presentation of student ID. General admission ticket prices vary based on showing times: before 5 p.m. tickets are $5, at/after 5 p.m. tickets are $6.50.

The Lost Flamingo Theatre Company Presents: Steel Magnolias at 7 p.m., hosted by the Lost Flamingo Theatre Company, 96 E. Union St. View Steel Magnolias, a live theater production that follows six southern Louisiana women in their trials and tribulations of health, hair and husbands. The power of female friendships and the strength of vulnerability are highlighted in the Lost Flamingo Theatre Company's first in-person performance in nearly two years. Tickets can be purchased through the theatre company’s website.

Admission: $5

CLUE: On Stage at 7 p.m., hosted by ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. Become immersed in a story of mystery, murder and comedy during Ohio Valley Summer Theater’s production of CLUE. The play is based on the cult classic film and the popular board game of the same name. Limited seating is available at the performance to create an intimate, unique viewing experience. Tickets for showings throughout the weekend can be purchased online through Ohio Valley Summer Theater’s website. Federal, state and local COVID-19 guidelines will be followed at the performance.

Admission: $10 per ticket

Saturday, October 16

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by the Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E. State St. Shop for locally grown and locally made foods and goods at the farmers’ market. The market accepts SNAP, credit cards and wholesome wave. Masks are recommended, and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: Free

Passion Works Pop-up Shop at 12 p.m., hosted by Passion Works Studio, 20 E. State St. Shop a variety of local art and view the Passion Works Studio gallery. The parking lot, where the event will be hosted, is accessible. Attendees must wear masks. Refreshments and snacks will be available for purchase nearby at the Ornery Vet Cafe.

Admission: Free

Wagging Tails at the Taproom at 12 p.m., hosted by Friends of the Shelter Dogs at Jackie O’s Taproom and Brewery, 25 Campbell St. Pet adoptable shelter dogs and enjoy Jackie O’s beer to support Athens’ Friends of the Shelter Dogs nonprofit. For every pint sold during the event, Jackie O’s will donate $1 to help the dogs.

Admission: Free

Sunday, October 17

2021 Walk to End Alzheimer's at 12:45 p.m., hosted by Walk to End Alzheimer’s at 701 E. State St. Walk to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer's research. The route is three miles along a paved path and can be accessible to dogs, strollers and wheelchairs. The walk begins at 2 p.m. after about an hour of ceremonies at the Athens Community Center. Registration can be completed through the Walk to End Alzheimer’s website. Questions can be directed to Meg Haist via phone at 513-632-3882 or email at mahaist@alz.org.

Admission: Free entry, but fundraising is encouraged

Passion Works Costumes & Bike Tour at 1 p.m., hosted by Appalachian Understories at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St. Go on a 4-mile bike ride to explore the history of the Hocking River and the Hock-Hocking Adena Bikeway. Led by Appalachian Understories and supported by Passion Works, the ride is family-friendly. Passion Works artists will create and provide costumes for participants to wear during the tour. Bike riders are also welcome to bring their own costumes.  Tickets can be purchased online via Appalachian Understories’ website. The tour begins and ends at the Athens County Library.

Admission: $20 per family

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu