5 spooky podcasts to get in the Halloween spirit

Take a break from listening to "Monster Mash" and turn on a spooky podcast to get yourself in the Halloween mood. Get in the Halloween spirit with these five podcast recommendations:

Family Ghosts

“Family Ghosts” is a podcast that investigates the haunting side of family history. Family secrets play a role in whom people become. The podcast explores how learning about other legends may make other's realities more clear. 

Per the synopsis, “Family Ghosts” examines relatives such as, "Grandmothers who were secretly jewel smugglers, uncles who led double lives, siblings who vanished without a trace and other ghostly characters who cast shadows over our lives in ways that might not be immediately obvious." The episodes are about 30 minutes long, making them the perfect length for car rides or workout sessions. 

Welcome to Night Vale

“Welcome to Night Vale” takes a different approach to a spooky story. The podcast is presented as a radio show for Night Vale, a fictional town. The radio show reports on all of the town's strange happenings. 

The episodes are set up like a realistic radio show, covering topics such as local news, weather and announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police. The town is located somewhere in the Southwestern United States and a variety of characters come into play with different voice actors. There are over 150 episodes, all about 20 minutes long, making it a great go-to series. 

Jim Harold's Campfire

“Jim Harold's Campfire” has been a spooky podcast staple since its start in 2009. With over 390 episodes, there is a never-ending supply of haunting entertainment. “Jim Harold's Campfire” is set up exactly like the tradition of telling ghost stories around the campfire. 

Jim Harold shares true stories submitted by everyday people. The chilling tales cover anything from paranormal activity, UFO sightings and ghost encounters. Listening to “Jim Harold's Campfire” will make you feel like you’re camping and keep you on the edge of your seat. 

In the Dark

“In the Dark” takes an investigative journalism approach to crime storytelling. It covers real crime cases, breaking them down in fascinating detail. There are two seasons, each focusing on a different criminal case. The first season is ten episodes and covers the kidnapping and murder of Jacob Wetterling. 

Wetterling's kidnapping was a mystery for 27 years. “In the Dark” considers how the failure for timely answers impacted the concern of "stranger danger" within society. Across 23 episodes, the second season focuses on Curtis Flowers, a Black man who was tried six times for the same crime, a quadruple homicide. 

Inside the Exorcist

“Inside the Exorcist” is the perfect binge-worthy series. The seven-part podcast explores one of the most popular and frightening movies, The Exorcist, which was released in 1973 and is one of the most profitable horror movies of all time.

The movie of horrors, both real and imagined, left audiences in shock. “Inside the Exorcist” explores the story that inspired the classic film, and several different aspects from the opening sequence to William Friedkin. 

@colant_juliana  

jc079419@ohio.edu