Fresh finds Friday: Lil Yachty and Tame Impala team up for a love song; Marc E. Bassy releases new album

We are past the halfway mark of the Fall Semester. Midterms are wrapping up and class scheduling for next semester is beginning. Good music can help students re-energize in the midst of it all, which is why we compiled a fresh list of some new tunes. 

Below are new releases that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are seven new songs to get you through the week:

“Sometime” by Ritt Momney, Shane T

Jack Rutter, known by his stage name Ritt Momney, is best known for his 2019 hit single “Put Your Records On.” Ritt Momney returns with his new single, “Sometime,” featuring a psychedelic guitar groove similar to The Strokes. The tune of the song makes you feel as if you’re listening on the beach somewhere in the heat of summer. As we are transitioning into fall, it’s a great song to listen to while reminiscing about the summer months.

“Friday” by Jeris Johnson, Trippie Redd

Combining the two worlds of punk rock and hip-hop, Jeris Johnson’s style mimics the heavily-distorted guitar and screamed-lyric style of Machine Gun Kelly. Johnson spent most of his years in metal bands before starting to produce solo. He gained inspiration from Ski Mask, The Slump God and XXXTentancion.

In “Friday,” the party never ends. The pair raps about the blindness of love with a girl you meet at a party and how exciting it can be. The track is a thrilling getaway that transitions into Trippie Redd’s verse on tripping on drugs and other substances, explaining that it’s just another Friday night.

“Piano Love” by Conway the Machine 

Hailing from the East side of Buffalo, NY, Conway the Machine is a name you want to know. “I am giving my fans what they love me for, grimy raps on an insane beat,” Conway the Machine said about “Piano Love.” 

The track features raps about money and power, an insane lo-fi beat and jazzy piano, all produced by The Alchemist. “Piano Love” is the perfect song for walking around campus at night.

“No Perfect Time” by Marc E. Bassy

“There's no perfect time to fall in love than now” is the message in Marc E. Bassy's eleventh track on his new long-anticipated album Little Men. With the support of an upbeat drum pattern and mellow drone chords, it’s a song with all the things you would expect from a Marc E. Bassy song.

However, this time around, Marc doesn't just make this any traditional love song about falling in love with a girl. There's "no perfect time" to fall in love, especially when you're not in love with yourself. The lyrics, "when I'm stronger, stay longer” remind us to be strong and let love flow naturally.

Frozen” by James Blake, JID, SwaVay

James Blake, best known for his collaborations with pop icons such as Kendrick Lamar, teamed up with JID and SwaVay to tell a story about the problems people face in America today. With the pandemic, Blake is completely “losing his mind” to the point where he feels his body is frozen.

“Frozen” is unique because Blake uses some playful vocal chops to make an intriguing instrumental background. It’s an experimental song instrumentally, but vocally, it brings lyrics from JID on institutionalism and how life for minorities is frozen. 

“Red Eye” by Justin Bieber, Troyboi

Initially released in March, Justin Bieber introduces British producer TroyBoi for the remix, adding experimental electronic elements to the song. The track features lasers as a synth choice and added percussion sounds with layers of moombahton. This remix of  “Red Eye” is a unique one that’s worth a listen when at the gym or walking to class.

Breathe Deeper” by Tame Impala, Lil Yachty

The unique musicality of Tame Impala is back in “Breathe Deeper.” The track features Lil Yachty on vocals and contains a disco-like beat with groovy basslines and piano chords straight from the 70s. It’s a perfect love song describing the feeling of and hope for reciprocation. Queue this song when you are on a date with that special person.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu