Mitski will starting her tour in North America in February 2022 (Photo provided via @mitskileaks on Instagram)

Twitter Reactions: Mitski drops first song in two years, announces tour dates

On Oct. 4, singer and songwriter Mitski finally made her return.

The Instagram account @mitskileaks, officially run by her management, posted a picture announcing that the singer would be releasing a song the following day at 10 a.m. 

Once her song “Working for the Knife” premiered, fans went insane. Mitski’s songs tend to revolve around personal issues for herself and her listeners that always seem to relate. Whether it’s about a breakup, getting older, past relationships, etc., it hits hard for her audience. 

“Working for the Knife” is about the progression of life and growing up. Her lyrics demonstrate a kid growing up having a dream and then being stuck as an adult, seeming to have nothing to look forward to. 

The construction of this song was also analyzed as well. Since her songs often have dramatic change or a unique sound, this was a bit more mundane overall. Some fans and music gurus assume that this is to represent a capitalist society where there is no relief.

To follow and up the excitement, she also released her North American and UK/EU tour dates for the upcoming year.

On Oct. 6, when the presale started, tickets sold out in minutes. Fans were fighting for their lives waiting anxiously and counting down the second. Unfortunately, not everyone got tickets and their posts on social media showed it.

Here’s what some folks on Twitter had to say.

@kendallkwright

kw229520@ohio.edu