Ohio's Ella Bianco (#14) kicks the ball during the Ohio versus Northern Kentucy match at Chessa Field on Thursday, Sep. 9, 2021. Ohio lost 1-0.

Soccer: Ohio's match against Bowling Green ends in a draw

For the first time in two seasons, Ohio ended a match with a draw after it and Bowling Green were unable to score in 110 minutes of match time Thursday. Ohio hasn’t had a match end in a draw since 2019, but a lack of offensive production and stringent defense prevented either team from scoring.

The Bobcats (6-3-1, 2-0-1 Mid-American Conference) were racked with untimely fouls that cost them. A golden opportunity to take the lead presented itself when Shae Robertson took a shot in the 59th minute, but an offsides penalty killed Ohio’s chance to get a leg up.

The Bobcats and the Falcons struggled to gain any offensive foothold for most of the match. Even as the match ran into overtime, neither team found many opportunities to take a shot. Both teams made a collective six shots in both overtime periods.

The Bobcats rank third in the MAC for shots and shots on goal this season, but they weren’t able to produce Thursday. They were outshot for the second time this season, with The Falcons putting up 15 shots compared to the Bobcats’ eight.  

Despite being outshot, defense from Ella Bianco and Paige Knorr helped to keep Ohio from falling behind. Carsyn Prigge made two shots late in the second half in an attempt to breath life into Ohio’s offense, but Bowling Green goalkeeper Lili Berg shut Prigge down. Prigge led Ohio with three shots, and was one of only four Bobcats to record at least one shot on Thursday. 

Goalkeeper Sam Wexell recorded a season-high six saves, and continues to prove herself to be Ohio’s defensive lynchpin. Wexell has been responsible for five shutouts this season, and she has the third-lowest goals against average in the MAC after Thursday.

@imchristosiegel

cs093219@ohio.edu