Ohio defender Paige Knorr kicks the ball during the Ohio versus Northern Kentucky match at Chessa Field on Thursday, Sep. 9, 2021. Ohio lost 1-0.

Soccer: Ohio's suffers first Mid-American Conference loss to Central Michigan in double overtime

Ohio fell 3-2 in double overtime against Central Michigan on Sunday for its first Mid-American Conference loss of the season. 

The Bobcats’ goals were scored by Regan Berg and Sarina Dirrig with assists coming from Paige Knorr and Abby Townsend, respectively. 

Ohio recorded nine shots on goal in comparison to Central Michigan’s six. The Chippewas’ three goals are the most the Bobcats have allowed a MAC opponent to score this season. Before Sunday, Ohio had allowed only one goal or less against conference opponents. 

At the end of regulation, the Bobcats and the Chippewas were tied 2-2 after both teams scored goals late in the second period. The score remained tied after the first overtime period after a quality strike by Shae Robertson was saved. During the second overtime period, Central Michigan took three consecutive shots. After two shots failed to find the goal, Central Michigan’s Maria Kaschalk landed a free kick to seal the match.

The Bobcats were met with intensity and pressure from the Chippewas offense throughout the entire match. Central Michigan’s aggressive play style left Ohio’s defense in shambles. Its fast-paced offense and ability to apply extreme pressure defensively proved to be the deciding factor. The 23 fouls called during the contest only added to the aggressiveness presented by both squads. 

@nicholaswhiite

nw163519@ohio.edu