Abbey Townsend (16) dribbles the ball around a Buffalo defender on Sept. 23, 2021.

Soccer: Ohio hosts Mid-American Conference rival Miami on Sunday

Ohio returns to Athens on Sunday after a two-match stint on the road to face off against conference rival Miami. Ohio is coming off an anticlimactic 0-0 draw against Ball State on Thursday that ended after two overtime periods. Neither team was able to find any rhythm offensively, which is something Ohio will hope to improve on Sunday. 

The RedHawks are 7-5-3 on the year and have looked like one of the stronger teams in the MAC. Miami has proven to have one of the more proficient offenses in the MAC, recording 23 goals throughout the season so far and scoring on 11.6% of its shots. Though, Ohio’s defense has proven to be unyielding against even the most prolific offenses.

Throughout Ohio’s MAC schedule so far, it has only allowed two goals to opponents. Miami faces a tough challenge this Sunday against arguably its most formidable competition yet. 

Ohio currently sits at the top of the MAC standings, remaining undefeated against conference opponents throughout its last seven matches. The Bobcats are looking to continue this streak. They only have three matches left in the regular season after their matchup against the RedHawks on Sunday. 

@nicholaswhiite

nw163519@ohio.edu