Abbey Townsend (16) dribbles the ball around a Buffalo defender on Sept. 23, 2021.

Soccer: Ohio shuts out Northern Illinois in 4-0 win

Ohio came away with a resounding 4-0 win against Northern Illinois Sunday, continuing its undefeated streak in its Mid-American Conference schedule. 

The Bobcats (9-3-1, 5-0-1 MAC) came out on fire with a goal in the 12th minute by Carsyn Prigge. Ohio proceeded to score again shortly after that from a shot by Olivia Sensky. The Bobcats refused to let off the gas, scoring twice more in the second half. One goal came from Madison Clayton and was followed by a goal from Haley Miller. 

Ohio controlled the pace on the pitch for nearly the entire contest, not allowing Northern Illinois to garner anything going offensively. It controlled the ball well as it has all season and was precise with its passing. The discipline shown by the Bobcats in this matchup in regards to keeping control of the ball and limiting turnovers is something for the rest of the MAC to take notice of.

Ohio saw many more opportunities offensively, taking 19 shots compared to Northern Illinois’ three. Ohio ended with a total of 10 shots on goal, only allowing one from the Huskies. 

The Huskies were outmatched on both sides of the field, and the Bobcats took advantage of every opportunity in the contest. Defensively, Northern Illinois struggled to stop Ohio’s strikers, more than doubling Ohio’s total number of fouls with 15. Sam Wexell came out with another clean slate for the Bobcats. Wexell has only allowed two goals to opponents throughout the MAC schedule so far, proving to be a staple for Ohio’s defense. 

@nicholaswhiite

nw163519@ohio.edu