Nick Carretta #17 fighting for the puck against John Carroll at Bird Arena on September 25, 2021.

Hockey: Ohio looks to stay undefeated in weekend series versus Pitt

If there was ever any doubt, Ohio has proved it’s ready for the season.

Ohio (2-0) came out skates and sticks blazing last weekend, sweeping John Carroll in its first series of the season. The Bobcats outscored the Blue Streaks 16-1, putting on a show for a large crowd of excited fans in Bird Arena. Playing at home definitely gave the Bobcats an advantage, one that they may need when they meet their next two matches over the weekend. 

Opponent: Pitt Panthers (1-1)

Location: Bird Arena (Athens, OH)

Series Dates: Oct. 1-2 at 7 p.m.

How to Watch: Pay-per-view here

Series Information: 

Ohio has quite the record against Pittsburgh, much like it did against John Carroll. Since 2011, Ohio is 16-0 against Pitt and is looking to continue its winning streak. The last time these two teams played was Feb. 22, 2020 in what ended up being one of Ohio’s last games that season due to COVID-19. The Bobcats came up with a win against the Panthers and beat them 4-1. 

If the Bobcats can start the season 4-0, it will be the first time they have done so since just 2019. That season, they went on to win their first seven games, all of which were at home. With the Bobcats’ first 11 games this season being at home, they could start another similar streak. 

One player to watch is freshman forward Philippe Angervil, who kickstarted Ohio’s offensive showcase in its 8-1 win against John Carroll. Angervil had one goal and two assists in the first period last Friday. He also had strong performance during Ohio’s Green vs. White scrimmage, assisting multiple goals there as well. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu