OU defense Jack Mueller (#77) charges forward at the Bobcats’ game against Iowa State on Oct. 16, 2021.

Hockey: Ohio suffers 6-4 loss to Iowa State

Ohio got a taste of its own medicine.

The Bobcats (6-2) dropped their second game of the season 6-4 to No. 5 Iowa State on Friday in Bird Arena. From puck drop, they had fallen behind. The Cyclones scored four goals in the first period alone, and the Bobcats’ lone response was a goal from J.T. Schimizzi after nine minutes.

“There's a couple bounces left and right, and then you turn around, and we're down by three,” Ohio coach Lionel Mauron said. “That's just how quick this game happens when you play against good teams. I think that's going to happen all season, honestly.” 

Mauron knew he needed to make a switch in the net after the first period. Although goaltender Matt Server had made 10 saves, Ohio was still down by three goals. Server was pulled and replaced by Max Karlenzig for the remainder of the game. Although Karlenzig allowed a goal less than three minutes into the second period, Iowa State (9-0) wouldn’t score for another 37 minutes of game time.

While Iowa State’s offense froze, Ohio’s was just warming up.

Ohio’s final three goals of the game came in the third period. In the span of eight minutes, both Phil Angervil and Sam Turner found the net to cut Ohio’s deficit down to just two goals. It was on a hot streak and might’ve been able to mount a comeback. Andrew Sacca scored with 17.9 seconds left on the clock. Ohio was down by one, fans in the stands at Bird Arena were cheering and “Raise a Little Hell” by Trooper was blaring over the speakers.

But Sacca was the last Bobcat to score. The comeback ended as the final 13 seconds ran out, and Cyclone defenseman Matty Moran scored a final goal to seal the game at 6-4.

Although they trailed for almost the entire game, the Bobcats did not let their frustrations show. A lack of penalty minutes or fights until the third period kept the Bobcats on the ice, but Mauron is unhappy with the physicality of his team. Mauron said he wants a bit more aggressiveness from his team and for them to play into their natural physicality. 

“I do think that we have more energy and physicality that we can bring to our game,” Mauron said. “And I think tomorrow, we do need to be a little meaner and more aggressive.”

Ohio had only played one ranked opponent this season prior to Iowa State on Friday. If the loss showed anything, it showed what Ohio needs to work on to stand against ranked opponents. Despite the tough loss, Mauron still believes Ohio can keep up with bigger opponents. 

“I'm still very positive and confident in this team,” Mauron said. “We fought all the way back and made it a one goal game, and I thought we had some chances to take it.”

@molly_burchard8

Mb712319@ohio.edu