Peyton Botich a forward of the Ohio University Bobcats carries the puck down the rink and looks for an opportunity to score against the Roosevelt Lakers on their game at Bird Arena on Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021. The Bobcats went to win the game 8-2. [Alex Eicher | The Post]

Hockey: Ohio earns series sweep with 8-2 win over Roosevelt

Every time the door to Ohio’s locker room opened on Saturday after the game, cheers rang out. 

The excitement was warranted. The Bobcats (6-1) had just beaten Roosevelt in Bird Arena for the second night in a row, completing the series sweep and remaining undefeated on their busy three-game weekend. The Bobcats beat the Lakers 8-2 Saturday, once again dominating its opponent and putting on an offensive show. 

No one would have been surprised if Ohio skated out on the ice Saturday night looking tired. It was playing its third game in three days. However, Ohio came out looking as strong as it had been all weekend. It wasted no time in beating down Roosevelt (0-2) in a similar fashion to its game on Friday

The Bobcats also reminded the Lakers what it feels like to be down 0-1 to begin the game. Drew Magyar scored Ohio’s first goal of the night less than four minutes into the first period.

Much like Friday, Roosevelt answered back with a goal of its own. Unlike Friday, however, it kept the game in close contention, with Ohio leading by only a goal by the end of the first period.

Were the Bobcats worried? Not at all. Ohio coach Lionel Mauron said the Bobcats went into the locker room feeling confident after the first period despite the close score. 

“We know what we're capable of,” Mauron said. “We just stick to our beliefs and we kept working hard. I think this group can get through anything because we have that.”

Those beliefs paid off. Three unanswered goals in the second period by Phil Angervil, Nick Carretta and Alex Singley gave Ohio the commanding lead, and six saves from goaltender Matt Server kept that lead in place.

Carretta’s two goals Saturday only show his growth since moving up from Ohio’s Division II team. The senior has been one of Ohio’s most productive forwards this season, and his performance Saturday proves that. His three goals and four assists put him ahead of some of Ohio’s more experienced players.

Mauron has been impressed with Carretta, who was forced to miss the entire 2020-21 season due to an ankle injury. 

“He’s been battling through adversity for years, and he gets rewarded now because he stuck with it,” Mauron said. “He's a great person and we're so lucky to have him.” 

Ohio’s third period performance set the final score in stone. Two goals from Drew Magyar and Peyton Botich built the lead up to six after just five minutes had gone by in the final period. Roosevelt put up a mere three shots on goal, and Server knocked them away with ease. 

The Bobcats have done many things right through their first seven games. They’ve been able to create opportunities where there are none, and their willingness to take shots only creates the possibility to further rack up goals. The Bobcats recorded 48 shots on goal Saturday, more than tripling Roosevelt’s 13. 

For now, Ohio’s approach to offense is working. It outscored its opponents 23-4 this weekend, and it has averaged over 48 shots on goal per game. If this approach provided Ohio with three blowout wins over the weekend, Mauron doesn’t see the harm in repeating the process.

“I think the philosophy now is stick to what works,” Mauron said. “And do it all over again.”

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu