Spencer Schons #16 taking a shot on goal during tonights game against John Carroll on Sept. 25, 2021.

Hockey: Ohio gets chance to redeem itself against Illinois

After two setbacks versus then-No. 5 Iowa State, Ohio (6-3) is looking to get back on the ice to remind fans it’s a stronger team than it looked like last weekend. Ohio fell into bad habits against Iowa State, such as taking unnecessary penalties, which may have cost it one of its games. However, Ohio has been focusing on keeping up good habits in practice this week and has a chance to execute them over the weekend. 

Opponent: Illinois (2-7-1)

Location: Bird Arena (Athens, Ohio) 

Series Dates: Oct. 22 and Oct. 23 at 7 p.m.

How to Watch: Pay-per-view available here.

Series Information: 

The last time Ohio played its fellow Central States Collegiate Hockey League opponent Illinois was in March 2020 in a CSCHL playoff game that started around midnight. Although the Bobcats were previously 3-1 against the Fighting Illini that year, they lost 2-0 that night. It was a disappointing playoff run for Ohio, especially when the American Collegiate Hockey Association national tournament was canceled due to COVID-19 just a few days later. 

Over a year and a half later, Ohio will get its chance at revenge against Illinois. The Fighting Illini aren’t the same team they were when they last met with the Bobcats. Illinois won its last six regular season games in the 2019-2020 season but is 2-7-1 so far this season. 

A player to watch for is Ohio’s J.T. Schimizzi, who’s a strong leader on the ice. Schimizzi is second in both goals and assists for Ohio. He’ll be looking to add to his seven goals this season. For the Fighting Illini, watch out for Zach Hayes, who leads his team with seven goals as well. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu