The Ohio University Student Senate holds the first general body meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body hears from student trustees

Ohio University Student Senate convened Wednesday evening to hear a presentation from two student trustees regarding the OU Board of Trustees’ summer meetings. 

The student trustees — Ellen Gill-Franks, a junior studying English pre-law and sociology-criminology, and Sarah Ladipo, a junior studying philosophy — serve as liaisons between the Board and the student body. Their presentation focused on informing Senate about the items the Board addressed during two summer meetings and hearing any questions or concerns from students. 

“We want you guys to understand how we work alongside you, and how we want to participate in that shared governance that you guys are actively pursuing,” Gill-Franks said. 

The presentation gave an overview of the Board’s two June and August meetings, covering the Audit and Risk Management; Academics and Student Success; Resources, Facilities and Affordability and Governance and Compensation committees. 

Topics covered during the overview included a review of ongoing university audits and insurance changes, student success goals, OHIO Guarantee+, a 5-year budget forecast, a COVID-19 summary and union contracts overview. 

Some expressed concern at the end of the presentation regarding the university’s recent funding cuts to the Center for Law, Justice and Culture, or CLJC.

Gill-Franks, who is heavily involved with the center, explained her personal connection and willingness to advocate for the CLJC. 

Senate resumed its regular agenda following the presentation, passing two resolutions related to the university’s Homecoming celebration. 

The first resolution approved the allocation of $145.14 for the purchase of food for a Homecoming Senate Alumni brunch. The second resolution allocated $47.15 for the purchase of materials to make a Homecoming banner for the parade Saturday. 

@sophielisey 

sy951319@ohio.edu