Silk Sonic will release their first album on Nov. 12, 2021(Photo provided via @silksonic on Instagram)

Silk Sonic announces release date for debut album

Oh, you got plans? As a matter of fact, I do. On Nov. 12, I will be occupied because Silk Sonic finally announced their long-awaited debut album’s release date. 

The multi-talented duo, featuring the high-flying Bruno Mars and smooth-as-you-like Anderson .Paak, are following up their hit singles, “Leave The Door Open” and “Skate,” with the full-length LP that we’ve all been waiting for, An Evening with Silk Sonic. 

Mars officially announced the band’s formation in February of this year. The pair met in 2017, when Anderson .Paak was opening for Mars on his 24K Magic World Tour. The duo grew closer and formed a strong bond over their love of music. 

In their interview with Apple Music’s Zane Lowe, Mars explained that the musicians “kept coming up with music. It felt like why you fall in love with music in the first place. And jamming with your buddy…There’s no plan, just working out the parts and trying to excite each other.” 

Their shared infatuation with making great music and having fun while doing so is the reason the band has been able to garner so much attention after releasing only two songs. 

The sound of Silk Sonic is one of the most exciting in all of mainstream music today. Bringing back the style of soul legends who influenced them, the duo’s first single, “Leave the Door Open”, is the very peak of modern R&B. Anderson .Paak’s signature old-school drum groove, coupled with Stevie Wonder-esque chords and Mars’ soaring vocals, forms the perfect concoction of nostalgia and modernity. The single topped the Billboard Hot 100 and spent 18 consecutive weeks in the top 10. 

Following up “Leave the Door Open”, the group continued to bless our ears with the sunny R&B flavor of “Skate”, released in July of 2021. This single was also met with commercial and critical success, reaching number 14 in the U.S. 

The prodigious talent and easy-going charm of both members of Silk Sonic have made An Evening with Silk Sonic one of the most anticipated albums of the year. Many are expecting it to be a favorite for album of the year. 

Grammy or not, one thing is for sure: Silk Sonic is bringing back the soul to the mainstream and changing the course of modern pop music. 

@_tannerharris_

th393721@ohio.edu