City Council meets together on Monday, Sept. 13, 2021.

City Council: Body authorizes allocation of funds for potential West Union Street project

Athens City Council met to discuss a slew of ordinances Monday, including allocation of funds for a possible improvement project on West Union Street. 

Councilman Jeffrey Risner, D-2nd Ward, introduced a particular ordinance to authorize a contract for right-of-way acquisition services for an improvements project on West Union Street. The passage of that ordinance would allocate $300,000 for the project to be used when it is needed, as the project is still in its planning stages.

Council unanimously passed the ordinance to allocate the funds. 

Councilman Sam Crowl, D-3rd Ward, also introduced an ordinance approving an education incentive program for non-union city employees. 

“(The program) would incentivize employees to stay up on necessary training for their position and they would have some monetary incentive to possibly complete college degrees or professional certifications,” Crowl said. 

The body unanimously passed that ordinance. 

Council also discussed other ordinances to make general improvements to the safety of the city, including the allocation of $39,000 to fixing the valve at the wastewater treatment plant, the addition of biodiversity conservation plan to the Athens Sustainability Action Plan and the replacement of guardrails on Stimson Avenue. 

@paytondaug

pd162120@ohio.edu