ACRN Media's Battle of the Bands to unite music lovers

The All-Campus Radio Network, or ACRN, is hosting its annual Battle of the Bands event on Thursday at The Union, 18 W. Union St., starting at 7 p.m. 

The Battle of the Bands has been a long-standing fundraising event for ACRN. Jonah Krueger, ACRN’s general manager, said it is one of ACRN’s favorite events because everyone in and around Athens is able to come together and support their friends while discovering new musicians. 

“This year we’ll have five amazing bands battling it out, and we’re really excited about the crop of talent that’ll be on stage,” Krueger said in an email. 

Richard Linscott, manager at The Union, expressed excitement about the event taking place in person again and hosting guests in The Union once again. 

“This ranks right up there with Rocky Horror in terms of events we’re thrilled to get to host again,” Linscott said in a message. “We can’t wait to see what the next generation of bands bring to the event.” 

No special sign-up is required for the audience members. They simply can show up to the event the night of. They can even expect to be thrown into the music and become a part of the battle. 

“Everyone in attendance will also be part of the jury voting on their favorite bands,” Krueger said in an email. “Members of the audience have the power to choose the ultimate winner.”

All anyone needs to do is show up to The Union. Krueger said people can bring their good vibes, judging cap and get ready for a night to remember.

One thing bands and audience members need to be aware of is the COVID-19 precautions in place at The Union.

“All of our COVID precautions will remain in place: guests and performers will need to provide proof of vaccination for entry and masks are required,” Linscott said in a message. 

Krueger is confident that anyone interested in music will get a lot out of the night.

“It’s also a great opportunity to meet new people in the community, find new artists and support your colleagues, classmates and neighbors,” Krueger said in an email. “Above all, it’ll just be a rager of a night!”

Students at Ohio University recognize the importance of this event and appreciate what it does for the music community in Athens. Matthew Hendrix, a senior studying media arts production, likes seeing live music and said the Battle of the Bands is a great way for bands to get recognized.

“The best part about seeing live music is the overall vibe of the crowd,” Hendrix said in a message. 

Students, The Union and ACRN are all excited for the event to take place. For more information regarding the event check out ACRN’s Facebook event

@Kate_anderson4

ka668316@ohio.edu