The Weeknd is the king of Halloween at this point; he never fails to go all out and fully transform himself into different characters (Photo provided by @theweeknd via Instagram). 

8 of the best celebrity Halloween costumes of 2021

Halloween is the best holiday of the year to be creative and take on a different persona through costume.

Last year, the pandemic restricted many Halloween celebrations. However, with more and more people getting vaccinated, celebrations have been able to continue again.

After taking a year off, many celebrities are back and better than ever with their Halloween costumes. 

This year, celebrities pulled out all the stops. The use of special effects makeup transformed some celebrities to be completely unrecognizable. 

Although many celebrities went all out on their costumes, here are the top eight:

8. Hayley Kiyoko as Kang Sae-byeok from Squid Game

Amongst all of the Squid Game costumes that probably dominated your social media feed this Halloween, Hayley Kiyoko’s is arguably the best. 

Kiyoko went above and beyond the basic tracksuit with spot-on hair and makeup that perfectly matches HoYeon Jung’s character in the show.

7. Doja Cat as Princess Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire 

At her birthday bash/Halloween party, Doja Cat nailed this underwater look complete with a warrior staff prop. From the blue contacts and makeup to the crystal necklace, not one detail was left out. 

Doja Cat also dressed up as Sara Bellum from The Powerpuff Girls, but nothing can match the accuracy of her Atlantis costume.

6. Lizzo as Grogu from The Mandalorian 

Step aside Heidi Klum, the new queen of Halloween might have just been crowned. 

Lizzo pulled off many Halloween costumes this year, such as the robot doll from Squid Game, Dorothea from Bébé’s Kids and Kim Kardashian’s all-black outfit from this year’s Met Gala. 

However, her most iconic look from this year is Grogu, also known as Baby Yoda from The Mandalorian. Every little wrinkle on Grogu’s adorable face was perfectly executed in this costume.

Lizzo showed off her costume to the streets of Hollywood and took selfies with many unsuspecting passersby who had no idea it was even her. 

5. Megan Thee Stallion as Pinhead from Hellraiser

Megan Thee Stallion also had a variety of costumes this year, but her Pinhead look was the most iconic. 

While her Cruella de Vil and fairy looks were amazing, the effort that was put into her Pinhead costume deserves the most attention. 

With full-body makeup and pins hanging out of her head, Megan Thee Stallion killed it this Halloween.

4. Lil Nas X as Voldemort from Harry Potter

Lil Nas X is no stranger to special effects makeup. 

In the music video for his hit song “MONTERO (Call Me by Your Name),” Lil Nas X played every character by using different makeup looks. 

The special effects are back with this scarily accurate Voldemort look. Lil Nas X playfully captioned his Instagram photo “he who must be called by your name,” referring to both Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies and his song.

Lil Nas X’s look as Seth Powers from Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide also deserves an honorable mention.

3. Janelle Monáe as The Grinch

Janelle Monáe fully committed to this costume with all of the fur and special effects. 

Monáe looks ready to snatch the Christmas spirit away from anyone who starts listening to Christmas music on the first day of November. 

Hopefully, she stayed warmer than everyone else who went out in Athens for Halloween weekend. 

Monáe brought out the special effects again with her horrifying Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde costume as well. 

2. Ariana Grande as “Miss Creature from the Black Lagoon”

Ariana Grande is utterly unrecognizable in this reptilian ensemble. 

Grande went above and beyond with the special effects to the point of not even looking human but rather like a cartoon character. 

This costume could be a perfect disguise for Grande from the paparazzi, but it might turn the heads of everyone else on the street. 

It’s hard to imagine how long it took to put this look together. Or better yet, how long it took to wash off all of the green makeup.

1. The Weeknd as Don Corleone from The Godfather

The Weeknd is the king of Halloween at this point; he never fails to go all out and fully transform himself into different characters. 

However, this year, The Weeknd didn’t hold back at all when dressing up as The Godfather himself. 

The Weeknd makes you do a double-take on his Instagram posts until you realize it’s not actually Marlon Brando, but The Weeknd. 

Fans were absolutely astonished by this costume, commenting things like “this guy just never misses on halloween.”

After crushing yet another Halloween, fans can’t help but wonder what The Weeknd has in store for next year.

ck603020@ohio.edu

@carolinekam12