From the Editor’s Desk: Posties have a lot to be thankful for this year

Next week, The Post won’t be on news racks across Ohio University’s campus and Athens. 

Our usual print release day will fall on Thanksgiving. Instead of staying up late in Baker 325, we will all be home spending time with our family and eating way too much food. Despite this, we’d be remiss to not share what we’re grateful for while we’re on campus.

The Post is grateful for the janitorial staff in Baker University Center; the production staff at The Athens Messenger for printing our paper every week; our business manager, Andrea Lewis; The Post Publishing Board; our fantastic and large Post Alumni Society; Dr. Thomas Suddes, who gives us weekly feedback on our paper; and our readers. Without all of those people, The Post would not be able to function the way it does.

We all have things we’re thankful for as individuals, too. As we continue to navigate college and a global pandemic simultaneously, Posties have a lot of invaluable support systems. Here are a few of the things Post staffers are grateful for:

Abby Miller, editor-in-chief

I am thankful for my incredible family and two closest friends, Caroline and Sarah. You all put up with me constantly talking about the news, or sometimes, not responding to texts and calls for hours because I’m too busy with the news. Thank you for keeping me sane this year. And I’m also grateful for coffee. I definitely couldn’t do this job without it. 

Taylor Burnette, projects editor

Eternally thankful for my wonderful Mom and Dad, my Becky and every second I spend at OU with somebody I couldn’t see when we were apart during the pandemic. I could take up this whole page telling each of you how thankful I am for you.

Isabel Nissley, slot editor

To everyone who has extended grace and acted with kindness toward me this year – friends, family, coworkers, professors, and especially my lovely roommate – thank you. Your care is changing the world (or at least mine) for the better.

Kayla Bennett, asst. culture editor

Forever thankful for the people who have shown me love even on my worst days. I’m thankful to be surrounded by warmth and benevolence as we move into the colder months. The little things in life – a smile or a hot cup of coffee – are also what keep me going on these short November days.

Ashley Beach, slot editor 

I am thankful for my hard-working parents who remind me to be my best self, my cat-loving little brother, the most incredible friends/coworkers in the world and my sorority sisters. All of you have extended your gracious hands to me more times than I can count. Today, like everyday, I appreciate having you all in my life. 

Mimi Calhoun, The Beat writer

I’m continually thankful for my parents and brother, as the three of them are my biggest support system and have helped immensely with my transition to college. I’m also evermore grateful for the friends I’ve made at OU. You all have made every second worthwhile, and I can’t wait to see where the rest of our time here takes us.

Bre Offenberger, managing editor

I’m thankful for my best friend and roommate, Riley, who never fails to make me laugh and somehow hasn’t gotten tired of me yet. I’m also grateful for the music, new and old, that has lifted me through the inevitable hardships that come with growing up.

Maria Monesi, sports writer

I’m thankful for my family who has always taught me to be who I am and has constantly supported me in everything I do. I’m also thankful for the friends I have both back home and at OU and for all of the opportunities I have been given so far. 

William Troyer, The Beat writer

As the years go by in my life, I have nothing but love and appreciation for my hOUme and my Mom and Dad, who’ve always bent over backward to give me all the opportunities I wanted in life and supported me through the darkest moments in my life. They’ve continuously helped me in my adventure here at OU, and I couldn’t thank them enough. 

Hannah Campbell, assistant opinion editor

I’m thankful for my lovely mother, who does nothing but constantly support me. I’m also incredibly thankful for my Post family, who have helped make Athens my home. They are some of the most talented people I’ve ever met, and are always there for me whenever I need a shoulder to cry on. 

Riley Runnells, culture editor

I’m extremely grateful to my parents and friends, who constantly support me through everything I do. I’m especially thankful for my partner, Ian, and my roommate, Bre, for their endless love. Most of all, I’m thankful to Marvel, who continue to feed me with content that gets me through my stress, and my watch buddies Tate and Jack for always going to the movies with me.

Tate Raub, opinion writer

I’m grateful for my family and friends for their consistent support of me and for all of my newfound friendships I didn’t anticipate gaining this year. I am immensely thankful for Isabel for being my emotional support best friend/roommate, Riley and Bre for countless laughs and anyone who I’ve been all too unwell over Red (Taylor’s Version) with.

Sydney Walters, weather writer

Especially after this past year, I’m thankful for the friendships this semester has given me and our countless hours studying and making impromptu road trips together. Maddy, Jake, Lauren, Henry, Manan, Eden, Cam and Brooke are the best friends I could’ve asked for. I’m also beyond thankful for the best guy, Nathan, and his endless humor and willingness to watch sports with me. Finally, I’m thankful to be back with this publication and getting to do something I love. 

Mary Berger, art director

This year I am especially grateful for my family. Within the last eight months, I have become an aunt thanks to my nephew, Aiden, and my niece, Colleen. Also, as of July, we will be welcoming my fiancé, Zach, into the family officially in October 2022. I couldn’t be more thankful for my growing and changing family.

Abby Miller is a senior studying journalism and political science at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Abby at am166317@ohio.edu or tweet her @abblawrence.