How to use the lunar cycle to start setting, achieving goals

NASA scientists have concluded the moon’s purpose is to stabilize Earth’s rotation and moderate the climate — so does this mean the moon can influence us, too? Some spiritual people and lovers of all things metaphysical believe the answer to that question is yes. 

Different phases of the moon are thought to bring different energy to the Earth every few days, affecting our mood and daily life. The idea is that certain times of the lunar cycle are better for relaxation and reflection while other times are better for goal-setting and taking action. 

Getting to know what each moon phase represents can help us foresee how we will feel, so we can set goals at times we’re most likely to succeed. Using this non-traditional calendar is a mystic way of holding yourself accountable, all while staying in touch with the universe. 

This ancestral ritual can easily become part of our modern lives once we understand how it works. Download a moon calendar on your phone to know what phase we’re in, and use this simple guide to start achieving new goals month after month. 

New moon 

The beginning of the moon cycle signifies new beginnings, new energy and new ideas in our lives. We may feel creative and have a natural instinct to make some changes to our daily routine. It’s important to be introspective during this time.

A few days before the new moon, start thinking of which goals you would like to bring to fruition this month. Spend time clarifying these visions of the next 30 days, and write them out in the form of a list. Visualize yourself achieving these goals. Imagine exactly how it will feel when you accomplish what you want. Don’t spend too much time planning how you’ll make these things happen. 

Waxing crescent

A few days after the new moon, we enter the waxing crescent phase. This phase is all about planning and refining. Glance back over your list of goals and intentions a few times over the next couple of days. Dig deeper into each goal you set for yourself, breaking it down into tangible steps you will take in the next few days to get you there. Refinement is key, so make any changes you feel necessary to your intentions before you start taking action. 

First quarter 

The first quarter moon is 1/4 of the way into the lunar cycle. That phase is where you’re putting all of your plans into action. You might feel a burst of energy or excitement during this time as your plans start solidifying and shifting into action. The momentum has been building up, and you might notice your goals coming to life sooner than expected with all of the time and attention you’ve spent refining and planning them. You’re likely to feel determined and confident if you’ve been keeping the moon cycle in mind, so keep moving forward with your goals. When challenges arise, it's easy to stay grounded and keep pushing during the first quarter moon. 

Waxing gibbous

This phase is known to bring us a little slower pace and lower energy in order to revisit our goals and prepare for the full moon. It’s now time to analyze your growth and make a decision on whether you’re committing to your plan. If you feel good about your progress, the energy of the waxing gibbous moon helps you push through and take those next steps. Sometimes after careful consideration, you find it’s better to take a different route. Trust that your goals are right for you, but don’t be afraid to make changes if necessary. 

Full moon

Halfway through the lunar cycle, we’re met with the most intense energy yet. We can look at the full moon as the harvest of our hard work. The intentions you set should be blooming, or they could now be fully in fruition. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and focus on how you’ll move forward. Take time to express gratitude, and process the growth that has occurred since you first set your goals on the new moon. How far have you come since the new moon, and how have you changed? 

The full moon is associated with reflection and release. Make a list of all things that are holding you back. If you’re not making the progress you thought you would, now is the time to accept those intentions or goals were not right for you and release them. 

Last quarter

The last quarter moon phase is where we learn from our goals and actions. Take time to notice if there are any recurring lessons that have come up in regards to the intentions you set on the new moon. You might still be working on your intentions, or you may find those goals just come effortlessly to you now as a result of your hard work. Fully embody and receive the intentions you set with gratitude, and appreciate yourself for making it happen.  

Waning crescent 

The last phase of the lunar cycle invites us to rest, surrender and restore ourselves. Our energy is waning as we prepare for another new moon. This is the final step in your transformation in which you can solidify your change and prepare for another cycle. Here, we can release any behavior or actions not benefiting us and begin a new endeavor. Rest up before beginning to think about your intentions for next month.

@BussertMaddie

mb901017@ohio.edu