HBO Max’s 8-bit Christmas, is a nostalgic look into the horrors of Christmas shopping (Photo provided by Warner Bros).

Here are 5 upcoming holiday movies to watch this winter

The days are becoming shorter, and sweaters are coming off of their hangers as we head into another pandemic holiday season. 

While, for a lot of us, this time of year brings memories of presents and belting Mariah Carey in the car, one of the most important and beloved parts of the holidays is the frosty flicks that come with them. 

Movies like Home Alone and It’s a Wonderful Life are sure to return to living rooms across the world this season, but there are plenty of classics-to-be ready to hit your home in 2021. 

Under the Christmas Tree (Lifetime)

The newest addition to the LGBTQ+ inclusive holiday film lineup, Lisa Rose Snow’s Under the Christmas Tree tells the story of Charlie, who is tasked with finding the perfect Christmas tree for a grand event. Charlie finds not only her ideal tree but also the girl of her dreams in Alma. 

Love Hard (Netflix) 

Set to be another holiday hit for the world’s largest streaming service, Love Hard is a modern take on the classic Christmas rom-com. The film tells the story of a West Coast writer who travels to the East Coast to meet her supposed holiday hunk, only to find out she was catfished. The man agrees to set her up with the guy she was supposed to meet up with if she pretends to be his girlfriend for the holidays. The retelling of a classic Christmas love story in the age of online dating is sure to be a fun holiday experience that all can enjoy. 

8-bit Christmas (HBO Max)

We all know what it’s like to go last-minute present shopping at the mall around this time of year and the heartbreak and joy that comes with it. After all, it is one of the most classic traditions of the holiday experience. Equipped with the beautifully vibrant colors and aesthetic of the ‘80s, HBO Max’s 8-bit Christmas is a nostalgic look into the horrors of Christmas shopping. The film tells the story of a boy on his quest for a Nintendo during the holidays and is sure to be a fun family classic for years to come. 

The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star (Netflix)

Netflix will be reprising its beloved royal holiday series The Princess Switch for its third installment. Vanessa Hudgens will be reprising all three of her roles for the film. Of course, it wouldn’t be a holiday princess movie if there weren’t shady identity swaps, wintery romance and missing royal artifacts. 

Home Sweet Home Alone (Disney+)

Fans of one of the most beloved Christmas film series ever jumped out of their Christmas sweaters when they heard that the first installment of the franchise in nearly a decade is set to be released this holiday season. Home Sweet Home Alone swaps Macaulay Culkin for Archie Yates, as it is the first film of the series to feature the wacky battle of wits with a British boy in the lead role.

@_tannerharris_

th393721@ohio.edu