Ohio running back O'Shaan Allison (#0) avoids a tackle during Ohio’s game against Bowling Green on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2020, in Peden Stadium.

Football: Fast reactions to Ohio's 21-10 loss to Bowling Green

BOWLING GREEN — Ohio’s season met its ugly end Friday in a 21-10 loss to Bowling Green.

The Bobcats (3-9, 3-5 Mid-American Conference) failed to produce on offense and allowed the Falcons to outgain them 349-223. Without a productive offense and a flimsy defense, the Bobcats dropped their ninth game of the season.

Here are a few quick reactions to Ohio’s 21-10 loss to Bowling Green:

Lack of passing

In Ohio’s attempt to manage the dual-quarterback system, Kurtis Rourke has been pegged as the go-to passer. He’s got the strongest arm between himself and fellow quarterback Armani Rogers, and performed well throughout Ohio’s November schedule.

Until Friday.

Rourke attempted eight passes in the first half against the Falcons, and had only three completions for 12 total yards. He was also picked off late in the second quarter, which led to the Falcons attempting a field goal just two minutes later.

Scant offense

Ohio limped through the game without much of an offense. It gained  total offensive yards Friday, and its passing game was next to nonexistent. Only two Ohio receivers — Adam Luehrman and Miles Cross — ended the game with more than 11 receiving yards, and Kurtis Rourke had one of his worst games under center all season. 

The running game didn’t fare much better. Ohio’s most productive rusher was Rourke, who netted 75 yards on seven attempts. Rogers, the quarterback Ohio typically depends on to pick up rushing yards, lost four yards against Bowling Green. 

Against one of the worst teams in the Mid-American Conference, Ohio flailed on offense and didn’t score after the second quarter. 

Bad finale

Ohio’s season has been one loss after the other, occasionally mixed in with the occasional narrow victory. The few wins it secured were often offset by losses soon after, and three of its losses to conference opponents were determined by a field goal or less.

Ohio ended its first season with a losing record since 2008 with a loss to Bowling Green, which had one win against conference opponent in the past two seasons before Friday. Ohio only scored a touchdown on its second drive of the game, and Bowling Green slowly overtook it.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu