Ohio University forward Ben Roderick (No.3) going up for a layup against the opposing team Belmont University, at the Convocation center on Tuesday Nov. 9th, 2021.

Men's Basketball: Fast reactions to Ohio's season-opening victory over Belmont

Ohio couldn’t have asked for a better start to its season.

The Bobcats opened their season with a 92-80 win over Belmont in The Convo on Tuesday. The Bruins were the first hurdle in a difficult nonconference schedule, and the Bobcats cleared them without much struggle.

Here are some fast reactions to Ohio’s season opening win over Belmont:

3-point efficiency

The Bobcats opened the game on fire from beyond the arc. They sank four 3-pointers in the first five minutes, and ended the first half shooting 45 percent on 3-point attempts. 

Ohio wasn’t just good from 3-point range, it was excellent. It took emphasis away from scoring in the paint and it paid off. Mark Sears dominated from 3-point range, making all four of his shot attempts. Jason Carter ended the night with four 3-pointers as well, albeit on eight attempts. 

Sears impresses from the start

Sears filed into the starting lineup following the departure of Jason Preston after last season. Sears took to his new role with gusto, and ended the game with 27 points, six rebounds and four assists. He never missed on a 3-point attempt, either.

The sophomore’s production hasn’t come out of thin air. He proved his mettle in the second half of last season, and quickly became Ohio’s sixth man. This season, Sears has gotten the starting job, and now has more time to work on the court. His performance on Tuesday shows that he may have a productive season ahead of him. 

Strong start

Belmont is one of the best teams in the Ohio Valley Conference, especially under the leadership of third-year coach Casey Alexander. The Bruins won the 2020 OVC Championship and lost in the finals last season to Morehead State. Its core lineup from last year also returned, with four graduate students in the starting five. 

That didn’t matter for Ohio.

Ohio pulled away in the second half and didn’t let up until it led Belmont by double digits. If Ohio can stomp out a perennial OVC Championship contender on its first game, the outlook for the season is bright.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu