Ohio University guard Miles Brown (No.2) and forward Ben Vander Plas (No.5) celebrating after a big win against the opposing team Belmont University, at the Convocation center on Tuesday Nov. 9th, 2021.

Men's Basketball: Numbers to know from Ohio's win over Concordia

Ohio continued its tear through its nonconference schedule after it defeated Concordia 88-68 for its fourth-straight win in The Convo.

The Bobcats (5-1) won by their largest margin of victory thus far this season, although it didn’t appear that way from tipoff. They trailed the Cardinals and were shooting below 33% by the end of the first half. Despite the slow start, the Bobcats surged after halftime and blew the Cardinals out by 20 points.

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s win over Concordia:

58

The Bobcats started off slow, shooting 31.43% from the field and falling behind the Cardinals by seven points in the first half. Their 3-point attempts weren’t connecting. The Bobcats were 3-of-19 from beyond the arc before halftime.

But Ohio reentered the game on a warpath. It went on a 15-2 run to begin the second half and outscored Concordia 58-31 after halftime. Over the final five minutes of the game, Ohio never held less than a nine-point lead.

Friday was the second time Ohio trailed an opponent by halftime. It started off slow and inaccurate against Concordia, but managed to recover. Ohio shot above 50% from the field and from 3-point range in the second half, and its 58 points were the most its scored in one half through its first six games.

19

Miles Brown was elevated to a starting role this season, and he’s filled the role well thus far. He’s an all-around player who posts decent numbers in most statistical categories, which provides Ohio with good balance in its starting rotation. 

Brown showcased his skills on Friday after posting a career-high 19 points, along with six rebounds and two steals. The junior also tied Tommy Schmock with a team-high three 3-pointers, his most in a game all season.

The junior’s career night is the early peak of an already strong season. He’s scored in double digits four times in six games. Last season, Brown reached double figures four times in 24 games. 

5

For the third time in six games, the Bobcats had five players score in double digits. Coach Jeff Boals and his players have all spoken at length about the Bobcats having multiple high-scoring players, and Friday further hammered that point home.

Four of Ohio’s starters scored 15 points or more. Mark Sears, in his sophomore season, has scored in double figures in every game this season and now averages 16.3 points per game.

The fifth man to break the double-figure barrier was Schmock with 11 points. Before Friday, Schmock had scored 10 points all season. Schmock provided a glimpse at his abilities during Ohio’s exhibition against Capital, and he finally translated some of that success to the regular season.

7

The Bobcats committed just seven turnovers against the Cardinals on Friday, its second-lowest this season. The Cardinals weren’t able to capitalize often, however, and ended the game with nine points scored off of turnovers.

Ohio, on the other hand, turned 19 turnovers by Concordia into 28 points. Ohio’s been able to turn opponents' mistakes into points on the board with efficiency this season, and Friday was no different.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu