OU Volleyball's Tria McLean, setter, lunges for the ball on Sept. 24, 2021. The Bobcats won 3-0 against Toledo.

Volleyball: Ohio travels to Miami this weekend for two-match series

Rivalry matches against Miami are always important for Ohio (8-16, 8-5 Mid-American Conference), but with the MAC Tournament looming large as the regular season winds down, this series against Miami (6-17, 4-9 MAC) will be especially important for the Bobcats.

Although Miami’s 4-9 record in MAC play puts them at the bottom of the standings in the MAC East Division, it has won three of its last four matches. The Bobcats, meanwhile, have been red hot, winning seven of their last eight matches. After starting the season 0-5 in away matches, the Bobcats have won their last four on the road.

Match information

Opponent: Miami

Venue: Millett Hall

Location: Oxford, Ohio

Time: 7 p.m Friday | 5 p.m Saturday 

History

Miami has been the thorn in Ohio’s side in the last five years. The RedHawks have won eight of the last 10 matchups since 2016. Ohio has also not beaten Miami twice in the same year since 2014. The most recent matches were played last season on March 12-13. The Bobcats swept Miami in the first match, but the Redhawks responded the next day with a 3-2 win of their own to tie the season series.

Players to Watch

Miami: Gaby Harper

Harper leads the RedHawks in digs and ranks second on the team in kills.  In 2018, Harper won MAC Freshman of the Year and made the All-MAC First Team. In 2019, Harper made the All-MAC Honorable Mention Team. She was vital for Miami in its last win against Toledo, as Harper went for 16 points in the match.

Ohio: Maggie Nedoma

Nedoma was a key contributor to the Bobcats’ successful road trip that saw them win two away matches against MAC opponents. She had 13 kills against Western Michigan, but really excelled against Northern Illinois with 12 kills and a hitting percentage of .429. Nedoma does a little bit of everything for the Bobcats. She ranks in the top five on the team in kills, digs, service aces and blocks. 

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu