Ohio University's, Erica Johnson (4) goes up for a quick shot with heavy pressure from The University of Toledo's, Hallie Idowu (35) and Sammi Mikonowicz (33), during the home game on Saturday, Jan. 9, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Women's Basketball: What to know ahead of Ohio's season opener against Notre Dame

Ohio will tip off its season when it takes on Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., on Tuesday in an attempt to repeat history from last season. 

The Bobcats have faced the Fighting Irish twice before and both games ended with margin of victory of three points or less. The Fighting Irish defeated the Bobcats 95-92 in 1996, but the Bobcats hold the most recent win. On Nov. 27, 2020, the Bobcats upset the then-No. 22 Fighting Irish 86-85 in The Convo. 

The late-November upset was Ohio’s second-ever win over a Top 25 opponent. Ohio hopes to start this season in a similar fashion.

Here’s what you need to know about Ohio’s season opener against Notre Dame: 

Game information

Opponent: Notre Dame 

Place: Purcell Pavilion, South Bend, Indiana

Time: 7 p.m. 

How to watch: ACCNX

Meet the Opponent

Coach: Niele Ivey (second season)

Probable starters

00 Maya Dodson 

01 Dara Mabrey 

05 Olivia Miles

21 Anaya Peoples

34 Maddy Westbeld

Why this game matters

Ohio entered its name into the hat last season by defeating then-No. 22 Notre Dame. If it is able to defeat Notre Dame again, Ohio’s reputation will grow exponentially. Ohio is already a threat in the Mid-American Conference, but beginning the year with a win over a strong nonconference opponent could lengthen its time in the spotlight. 

On the other hand, the win won’t come easy. Second-year coach Niele Ivey boasts more experience at the head of her program. Also, the Bobcats and Fighting Irish are both returning most of their lineups from last year. Neither team is going in blind this season, unlike last November. 

All eyes are on Ohio on Tuesday night. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu