After a bit of a hiatus, Sam Evian’s Time to Melt is ready to be streamed (Photo provided by @sam3vian via Twitter). 

Album Review: Sam Evian’s ‘Time to Melt’ evokes nostalgia, reassurance, introspectiveness

New Yorker Sam Evian is back with his third album, Time to Melt.

The singer, songwriter and producer has completed his previous two albums with purpose. Evian’s second album, You, Forever, was released in 2018 and quickly became voted as the best summer road trip playlist that year. After a bit of a hiatus, Sam Evian’s Time to Melt is ready to be streamed. 

The openers, “Freezee Pops” and “Dream Free,” give everything but lucidity. With the slippery basslines that melt with the rest of the keys, both of these songs are dreamy and easy to get lost in. Without being boring, a simple question is asked throughout both of these songs: “Where is the person you are living for?”

“Time to Melt” is the third song on the record and is an absolutely funk-inspired tune. It’s extremely bubbly and cheerful. The lyrics talk about wasting your days with someone you love as a new phase in your life is about to begin. The spirit of this song is definitely explained in the bizarre alienistic music video. When listening to this song for the first time, it may bring listeners back to adolescence with the repetitive lines, “Dream, dream, dream,” as a vibraphone solo finishes the song. 

“Knock Knock,” on the other hand, is a political song. He dives into his childhood, growing up in North Carolina and the social injustices he witnessed as a kid. This transitions into the theme of police brutality and how it was heightened during the peak of the pandemic. Tackling everything from racism to poverty, this hipster-sounding song is a continuation of the funky soul in the single “Time to Melt.” At first, it's just like another jazz song. Once you understand the disgust Evian has with society and how he believes people treat one another is an overall disappointment, listeners are able to enjoy the song more. 

Track five, “Arnolds Place,” is all about the escape of spending time with a person willing to run away from the ugly truth of reality. The track embodies the feeling of being with someone who makes you forget about the daunting responsibilities of humanity. “Arnolds Place” is just another example of Evian’s underwater sound with the muffled hum of lyrics telling listeners to hold on just a little bit longer. The same theme persists in the song “Sunshine,” as it delves into taking a break from a deeper economic issue and worrying about your partner throughout hardship. 

Furthermore, “Never Know” is just another example of Evian’s interest in aliens, which has popped up as a common theme throughout these released songs. The idea of escaping to a world beyond ours is expressed through the otherworldly sound. The bassline is a swoon of reverie. Following its wobbly sound, “Lonely Days” expresses the freedom of getting to see people for the first time after many months in lockdown. 

Contrastingly, “Easy to Love” has an upbeat sound. A parade of jazz invites listeners into a song about a light-hearted love, and it’s easily a feel-good anthem. “Easy to Love” will certainly get people excited to listen to the rest of the album. The second-to-last song on the album, “9.99 Free,” is a lyrical continuation of the previous track, “Easy to Love,” with guitar roots and the vibration of keys and swaying strings. 

Evian closes the album with “Around it Goes” amid a muffled saxophone playing in the distance and voices of fans sending messages to loved ones during their time in isolation. Evian wanted to include these messages as a love letter to those who lost friends and family without a chance to say goodbye. This really is an anthem for the people to come together and understand that life is too short to not love one another. The looping guitar chords and that saxophone carry the album into closure, but listeners are left wanting more.  

Rating: 4/5

@shortstuffsoph 

sa488920@ohio.edu