Issue 2 passes, senior citizen facilities maintain funding

Issue 2, a ballot measure that renews a tax benefiting senior citizens by providing funding for social services in Athens County, passed with 76.95% of voters in favor of the Athens County levy.

Approximately 23% of Athens’ citizens voted against it. 

The passing of Issue 2 means that services and facilities will continue to receive funding to help the geriatric community of Athens.

Athens is home to a number of organizations that offer critical services for senior citizens. 

Some of those services include transportation to and from medical appointments, insurance enrollment help, health education and exercise assistance. 

Each township in Athens has groups and organizations that are funded by this levy.

A handful of the organizations serve social purposes, such as helping seniors to find volunteer work or increasing fellowship through the sharing of meals. Others organize small group meetings and help with vaccine scheduling. 

The United Seniors of Athens County is a multi-purpose service provider in Athens that is financially supported by the Senior Services Levy. The center is a not-for-profit organization and is open to all Athens residents 60 years of age and older. Seniors are able to take advantage of their services free of charge, but the organization does accept donations.

A majority affirmative vote was necessary for the passage of this levy, which it received. Because it is a renewal, Athens County residents will not be subjected to a tax increase. 

The support provided by the county will not exceed 0.75 mill of valuation. This amounts to $0.075 for each $100 of valuation for five years, commencing in 2022, first due in the calendar year 2023.

@alyssa_danccruz

ac974320@ohio.edu