The Pest: Athens Halloween reigns supreme

Halloween is objectively the best holiday. It’s the one day of the year when you can dress up as anything you desire. Surprisingly, Ohio University is known for being a pro-Halloween institution. The famed Halloween Block Party held in Uptown is the center of alumni lore, but even though the block party was absent this past weekend, Halloween at OU is still nothing short of fantastic. 

A costume is required to have the best experience. For females, lingerie with fairy wings will simply do. Don’t even bother to make yourself a specific character because people will immediately understand what you are. For males, just put on a hat of your choice. A cowboy or Bass Pro Shops hat is a surefire way to win any costume contest and secure the heart of your taste of the evening.

Halloween would not be complete without trick-or-treating, and Mill Street offers the best for college-aged students. It’s free for all and offers hours of entertainment. You and your friends can walk from house to house in search of the best candy. However, all you’re going to find is empty bowls littered with wrappers because they have been raided by health-conscious adults. 

Do not fear; there’s still a few haunted houses you can attend on the side streets if trick-or-treat doesn’t work out. The haunts provided by the Athens cowboys come in waves and provide an adrenaline rush like no other. If you’re looking to save money, these are the events for you — just be sure to leave your inhibitions and male friends at the door. 

If trick-or-treating is not your speed — or you are the male friend — travel up to Court Street to play a special version of Mafia. This wide-scale take on a classic icebreaker will help you pass the time while in any establishment. Anyone can be a winner, but not everyone can be a loser with this game. Keep your eyes peeled, and trust no one, especially if you don’t have up to $1,000 to spare. 

The best part about Athens Halloween is the Athens cowboys. It’s one of the few times they will come out to play. They will let you pet their horses if you ask, but be respectful if your wish is not granted. You wouldn’t want someone to run up and just start petting you, would you?

Halloween would not be Halloween without the snacks. Athens has options ranging from greasy piles of fries to the thickest pizza known to man. Either way, be sure to sit while you are eating to avoid spillage on your costume. Just don’t sit at the Brenen’s tables. Opt for a bench or the courthouse stairs instead. 

In all seriousness, the time spent with friends is the best part of Halloween at OU. The memories made on campus and around town will be etched into your mind for the foreseeable future ... if you even remember that night. 

The Pest is a satirical column that does not reflect the views of The Post.